Fitting a new waashbasin pop up waste IN SITU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve seen various videos showing how to fit a new pop up waste – and I'm now realising that this is often done BEFORE the sink and pedestal are finally installed. I can see why.
Now, we have no intention of dismantling the washbasin itself after already spending sooooo much time removing the old tap, fitting a new one and now – the last job – fitting the pop up waste.
It's a face-ache having to fiddle around in a tiny space. So I wondered if anyone had ANY tips about fitting the thing in situ?
The temporary tap is a not-so-cheapo new Wave monotap form B&Q and the main issue is working out how the rod system connecting the lever at the back of the tap to the pop up waste plug in the sink is supposed to work. The instructions are crap. I don't know if there's a missing part or why the parts we do have are not fitting together nicely.
The rod with the little white ball on it only came with a rubber washer - not a metal ring nut that I've seen on the videos and I kinda get that. So we decided to repurpose the old metal ring nut but the instructions don't match the components and the ring nut has nothing to screw into so it all doesn't make sense.
Then, how the heck are you supposed to get the horizontal rod into the hole at the bottom of the pop up?
And, even if you do, which we managed once before it went wrong again, how are you supposed to know where along the horizontal or vertical axis of the intersecting rods the little connector thing with the screws is meant to fit?
Why will the pop up not pop up?
I've seen the suggestions for fiddling about with the rods and tbh, I'm sick of it. I know with all these ‘issues’, it's obvious the pop up is unlikely to work, but (sigh), I don't know, maybe one of you has a magic wand or something. I'm venting, I know, and hoping for the impossible but I'll post pics later. I can't face the bathroom right now.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why is it a temporary tap? If you're expecting to be able to replace the tap with a different one without also changing the waste fitting you may well be disappointed - they aren't universal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back