1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting a secondhand Salamander CT50

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by paulramplin, 4 Nov 2016.

1. paulramplin

paulramplin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,
    I sold my Salamander CT50 Twin pump - which was working perfectly - but the buyer is having problems. So I'm trying to figure out what may have gone wrong to help him out a bit.
    He says the pump is leaking from within the main unit. Now, it certainly wasn't doing that before, and from what I've read online, it seems that any leak would more than likely be from one of the pipes. However, he insists that is not the case. So, can anyone think of what may have gone wrong? I know this is like asking how long a piece of string is, but I'm just hoping someone might know of one or two things for him to check.
    Additional information - when I sold the unit, I left enough copper pipe connected to ease refitting - figuring that it would be better not to pull these copper pipes out and instead, fit the new pipes directly to the ones I left in place. Could his removal of these copper pipes have caused a problem?
    Thanks for any pointers,
    Paul.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hang on. . . . My crystal ball is on loan to the Brexiteers . Will get back to you.

4. paulramplin

paulramplin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Blimey - Brexit really does get blamed for everything!
    (Yeah - I know I'm asking a lot - just hoping that someone might have something to suggest.)

5. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it was run without water for any time or if it had been left dry for a long period then fired up, and it's leaking from the body, then a seal could have gone. Without knowing more it's hard to say.

6. paulramplin

paulramplin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info Madrab. If that's the case, do you think a seal would be accessible to fix?

7. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In a cheapo salamander ? Doubt it. And if it is it isn't worth the effort .

8. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you know what the installation is like? Diameter of feed pipes, distance from hot tank etc.. If the sucky end is too narrow or too long it could be that its struggling and might put a strain on pump pushing the water through

9. paulramplin

paulramplin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No idea what the installation is like - but reading between the lines, I think the buyer may have 'had a go' and then got in a professional. But maybe the damage had already been done by that time!

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Elkato531

Elkato531

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have replaced seals on Salamanders before but wouldn't bother on a cheapo CT50. I guess your obligations as a vendor depend on the item description. If it was "sold as seen", you can tell him to get lost. If it was "in good working order", then you may have to give his money back. He can't have paid much for it anyway. As for replacing parts if its been run dry, the salamanders have plastic impellor parts which melt and fuse together. Dry running would result in much more than a leaking seal.

12. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  13. paulramplin

paulramplin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hmmmm. With my word against his , it looks like it's gonna end up as a refund. I'd love to know for sure how the fitting of the pump went - I think that would tell the whole story.

14. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its always a load of hassle selling used stuff.

15. Elkato531

Elkato531

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Was it an ebay sale? If you do a fair bit on ebay that high feedback rating is worth protecting. A quick refund with an apology and positive feedback can easily be worth the lost sale. If you've already had negative feedback then make the barsteward wait for his money.

16. Steelmasons

Steelmasons

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That'll teach em for buying 2nd hand shyte.

• Like Like x 2
  17. picasso

picasso

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Even though the instructions say "DO NOT CONNECT TO THE MAIN SUPPLY" guess what some people still do it and then wonder why its leaking.