Fitting a secondhand Salamander CT50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I sold my Salamander CT50 Twin pump - which was working perfectly - but the buyer is having problems. So I'm trying to figure out what may have gone wrong to help him out a bit.
He says the pump is leaking from within the main unit. Now, it certainly wasn't doing that before, and from what I've read online, it seems that any leak would more than likely be from one of the pipes. However, he insists that is not the case. So, can anyone think of what may have gone wrong? I know this is like asking how long a piece of string is, but I'm just hoping someone might know of one or two things for him to check.
Additional information - when I sold the unit, I left enough copper pipe connected to ease refitting - figuring that it would be better not to pull these copper pipes out and instead, fit the new pipes directly to the ones I left in place. Could his removal of these copper pipes have caused a problem?
Thanks for any pointers,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
Blimey - Brexit really does get blamed for everything!
(Yeah - I know I'm asking a lot - just hoping that someone might have something to suggest.)

If it was run without water for any time or if it had been left dry for a long period then fired up, and it's leaking from the body, then a seal could have gone. Without knowing more it's hard to say.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info Madrab. If that's the case, do you think a seal would be accessible to fix?

Do you know what the installation is like? Diameter of feed pipes, distance from hot tank etc.. If the sucky end is too narrow or too long it could be that its struggling and might put a strain on pump pushing the water through

No idea what the installation is like - but reading between the lines, I think the buyer may have 'had a go' and then got in a professional. But maybe the damage had already been done by that time!

I have replaced seals on Salamanders before but wouldn't bother on a cheapo CT50. I guess your obligations as a vendor depend on the item description. If it was "sold as seen", you can tell him to get lost. If it was "in good working order", then you may have to give his money back. He can't have paid much for it anyway. As for replacing parts if its been run dry, the salamanders have plastic impellor parts which melt and fuse together. Dry running would result in much more than a leaking seal.

Hmmmm. With my word against his , it looks like it's gonna end up as a refund. I'd love to know for sure how the fitting of the pump went - I think that would tell the whole story.

Was it an ebay sale? If you do a fair bit on ebay that high feedback rating is worth protecting. A quick refund with an apology and positive feedback can easily be worth the lost sale. If you've already had negative feedback then make the barsteward wait for his money.

Even though the instructions say "DO NOT CONNECT TO THE MAIN SUPPLY" guess what some people still do it and then wonder why its leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back