fitting a solid fuel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , im thinking about fitting a solid fuel stove, can anyone give me an idea of what distance is required between the front of the stove and the floor boards.

Thanks Twiglet :D

Sponsored Links
hi twig, i think its 400mm. il check the building regs tonite cos im fitting one on a job.

bikerm4 said:
hi twig, i think its 400mm. il check the building regs tonite cos im fitting one on a job.

Thanks Bikerm4, it seems that a solid fuel may be a better instead of a gas one :D

so you might have 2 to fit :LOL:

not sure if the stone slab will be big enough now :rolleyes:

Twiglet ;)

Sponsored Links
HI I guess it's a bit late but here are the measurements, in case anybody comes across this thread at a later date (like I did):

General heat clearance from Stoves
Wood 15” (381mm)
Stone 9” (228.6)
Plaster 6” (152mm)

2" (50.8mm) from the back
6" (152.4mm) from the sides
12" (304.8mm) from the top

Hope you got everything fitted and you're happy. Can you tell me where you got your stove from? I am in the process of sourcing one myself and wondered where the best place could be.

thanks

I read your question, and wonder why you would want to fit solid fuel heating?
Surely the disadvantages of solid fuel are widely known?
Gas is more attractive for most people, your choice could impact when you come to sell.

Come on guys it’s a 2 ½ year old post! I’m not sure about the attractiveness of a gas fire over solid; we have dual/solid fuel fire, it provides a huge heat output & coal is as cheap as chips compared to gas at the moment!

PerryOne

There are a couple of reasons we are opting for Solid Fuel, there's the aesthetic reason of having a good stove with flames on view in the living room (the wifes input...) and also we live about 500yds from a saw mill where I get a huge supply of good dry wood for peanuts. I've also heard of projects where briquettes of recycled paper are used to fire stoves like these.
Also with the soaring price of Gas surely alternative heating options should be explored? We even looked at solar heating that can now be incorporated with boiler stoves, however this option is still very expensive.

and this is the stove we've now bought....

http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/aga-berrington-multifuelwoodburning-stove-p-3903.html

Beautiful ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back