Fitting a switch to a table saw ??

I would have seconded the lack of riving knife but that would have made me ever so slightly hypocritical, being as I removed the riving knife from my startrite so I could fit a 14 inch blade to it.
On the plus side, I'm only sawing kingspan up with it so the weight of materials being sawn is low and likelihood that it will squeeze together and be fired out of the saw while being sawn is minimal..
Could do with a bit of sanding effort on your table top there.. I see a lot of surface imperfections that could lead to materials snagging. Not having a riving knife could see you twisting the work if it gets snagged, and that's when it comes back out of the saw at a rate of knots and busts you in the chops. Remember, that saw blade is probably doing close to 200 mph and is capable of imparting a lot of energy to the work if it grabs ahold of it

Back to your switch, it's basically an electromagnet.. Pushing the green button fires the magnet, which then holds e contacts closed. Elsewhere a set of thermal wires and bimetallic strips run hot if the motor is overloading and the bimetallic strips move and break the circuit..
So yep, you've bought something a lot more complex than just a make/break switch, but it's a sensible thing to have

Sponsored Links
Hello

Thank you for your useful response cjard
the main thing i will be using this saw for is to rip scaffolding boards down.
As i have said a can't really see alot of feature's that this saw would be missing that you would get with a shop bought saw..

once i get the switch fitted with thermal overload and a belt guard apart from a knife what would be the diffrents

Perhaps safety is achieved in this case by looking obviously dodgy that great care is taken when around it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hello again

Apart from all the health and safety advice i don't think i have clearly been told yet were all wire's should go for a single phase setup

i think from one post on here i have
a good idea of were the L and N should go from the motor and from the supply but not whether the black patch cable's as i call them should be left in terminals the way they are at the moment
or need changed about .

I know the wire's that's in at the moment on the image are a mess but that's just how it came cut off what ever it has been used on before..
i understand they will have to be tore out when my wiring is fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back