Fitting a wooden floorboarded floor in a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning to screw joinsts onto the concrete floor but if I put a damproof insulation between the concrete and wood the screws will make holes in it. I was told I could fit the floor without screwing it to the concrete and that I should fit Kingspan but to raise it above the concrete to avoid any future problems.
What should I do ??

Sponsored Links
as long as you realize only perhaps 2-7 % off heat loss will happen via the floor in a conservatory dependant on construction 90-95% will happen above floor level
in other words far greater gains will be achieved for less cost insulating the walls and roof

big-all";p="3055065 said:
as long as you realize only perhaps 2-7 % off heat loss will happen via the floor in a conservatory dependant on construction 90-95% will happen above floor level
in other words far greater gains will be achieved for less cost insulating the walls and roof.

Thanks for the reply - the walls are insulated but I need to raise the floor nearer to the level of the living room and I was wondering which was best , to fasten the joists to the concrete or not and the insulation was an addition to that.

What you asking about is called a floating floor, you can run plumbing pipes, electrical wiring and all sorts under them and if you use Dynamic Battens (normally used in flatted situations) these floors were designed to provide - floor insulation, acoustic barrier, sprung flooring etc. You can even get them with adjustable footings, so you can lay them on an uneven floor...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
What you asking about is called a floating floor, you can run plumbing pipes, electrical wiring and all sorts under them and if you use Dynamic Battens (normally used in flatted situations) these floors were designed to provide - floor insulation, acoustic barrier, sprung flooring etc. You can even get them with adjustable footings, so you can lay them on an uneven floor...pinenot :)

Thanks - I have looked at them on the internet they seem ideal - I had intended to screw t & g floorboards to the battens but the installation guide quotes 18mm + plywood which would be best, it is intended to carpet the conservatory floor

The only specification that I've met, has been T&G chipboard, glued along all the joints and either ring shank nails or screwed to the battens. This produces a truly floating floor i.e. battens are free to move, chipboard forms a monolithic mass, 10 mm gaps must be observed around perimeter, to allow for seasonal movement...pinenot :)

The only specification that I've met, has been T&G chipboard, glued along all the joints and either ring shank nails or screwed to the battens. This produces a truly floating floor i.e. battens are free to move, chipboard forms a monolithic mass, 10 mm gaps must be observed around perimeter, to allow for seasonal movement...pinenot :)

Found some Profloor battens online but they are 3600mm long which is about 11ft 10in but the conservatory is 14ft wide by 12ft how should they be fitted together along the perimeter wall and keep the 10mm gap all he way along and how would you fasten the batten ends to the perimeter battens or does the chipboard hold all the battens in place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back