Fitting a wooden post to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 4x4 inch wooden post to attach to brick wall what size scre will i need and what other bits to do this

Sponsored Links
Three options:
Buy some individual 150mm long screws, a long (210mm) SDS 7mm masonry bit and some brown plugs and drill right through the post and into the wall. Drill and fix the top first, level it then drill the remaining holes. You may have to buy a special (ultra large) posi bit, larger plugs and masonry bit, depending on what thickness screws are available.

Buy some 100mm 6s, (screws) and do as above but you will need to chase the screw head into the post by a couple of inches. You will need the large size posi bit for these.

Buy some 150mm concrete screws, a torx bit, a 6.5mm masonry bit and screw right through into the wall. You will, need a powerful impact driver for this as well as keeping the post hard against the wall as you drive the screws in. Otherwise the solid screw thread will keep the post away from the wall. That is why window fitters love them so much. No need for plugs.

Last edited:
T
Buy some 150mm concrete screws, a torx bit, a 6.5mm masonry bit and screw right through into the wall. You will, need a powerful impact driver for this as well as keeping the post hard against the wall as you drive the screws in. Otherwise the solid screw thread will keep the post away from the wall. That is why window fitters love them so much. No need for plugs.

Definitely this, I tried option 1 with a post and it had a bit of a wobble afterwards. Replaced with concrete screws and it was rock solid.

At the time I didn't have an impact driver socket adapter though, so used a socket and ratchet and all was OK.

Sponsored Links
If you have access to the other side of the wall, you can use galvanised studding with a countersunk nut and washer on each side. It's especially useful on a gatepost where there will be movement and vibration each time the gate slams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back