Fitting Air bricks in a solid stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to fit air bricks into a solid stone wall - 1830's cottage - wall is approx 600mm with no cavity. I guess the wall construction is stone outerskin rubble in what would have been a cavity then stone inner. The internal floor is suspended timber - if that is the correct term - i.e. timber floorboards on timber joists in subfloor space. Can anyone help please?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, I dont like the sound of that! :(

It wont be a 5min job

I did a similar thing not too long ago - I used a large core drill with an extension or two, covered the outer hole with a Wickes soffit cap and lined the hole with a length of earthenware (unfired) clay drain.
Not square, but it did the job!
John :)

Thanks Burner man. I presume at an angle to get into the floor void? Can you remember the size of the core drill. Did you hire?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I had to cut a hole through a stone wall to slide in a new joist

upload_2019-7-10_12-48-57.png

The method I used was removing stones by hand using hammer and chisel to carefully break and remove the mortar. The stones were fitted back in place after the joist had been driven through.

Had I wanted a pipe through the wall for an air brick then I would have slid the pipe through the wall and then cut the stone to fit around the pipe before fitting then back into the wall.

A problem that can arise with a core drill through a rubble and mortar wall is that the drill meets a stone that is loose enough to rotate inside the wall. There is then no cutting action and the drill will not go any further as a drill.

Last edited:
Thanks Burner man. I presume at an angle to get into the floor void? Can you remember the size of the core drill. Did you hire?
Many thanks
With the job I was doing, I wasn't heading for any floor void, but rather just to help dry out a saturated wall that got no sunlight.
As I was going to insert clay drainage pipes, I got them first then bought an 80mm diameter core drill - I already had the extensions. The idea was that the clays would absorb moisture from the stone like blotting paper.
I drilled deeply into the wall, upwards slightly by a couple of degrees - it was easy to tell when I had reached the internal random rubble section! This was maybe 9" or so above ground level and I drilled around 6 holes (or maybe 8 - can't remember.)
The clay pipes were bedded in using lime putty - quite a loose mix - and left alone for a while. In no time at all there were visible patches where the wall was drying. The ends of the clays was covered by a round Wickes soffit cover, siliconed in place to stop any insects or whatever getting in.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back