Fitting an electric fire suite. Simple questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings everyone,

This is what will likely be the first post of many. My family and I have finally moved into our own house so for the first time in my life I am living somewhere I am allowed to DIY.

The next project is to fit an electric fire suite in our lounge. Something along the lines of this.

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/fires-...Optimyst-2Kw-Complete-Electric-Suite-13138745

I have attached an image of the floor / wall area of our lounge. It is obvious where it will go (not in the image, that is currently behind the sofa) due to the plug and switch close by. My questions are as follows:

1: How do you fix it to the wall?

2: How do you get rid of the white wood where the wall meets the floor (what is that bit called? It must have a better name?)?

You will also notice that there is no floor yet. Hard wood (Karndine) floor will be fitted in a weeks time, before we get the fire.

I hope these questions are not too silly. I am fairly new to this DIY thing and everything is very new to me.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards

Tim

Sponsored Links
1. They're usually free-standing; if they need to be fixed to the wall they will probably come with brackets which screw to the wall then the fireplace will hook over the brackets in some way.

If it doesn't come with fixings but you want to fix it then typically you'd use hook brackets eg

http://www.firesandsurrounds.co.uk/page/FittingKit

2. It's called skirting board and if the fireplace you choose doesn't have a recess at the back to accommodate it then

- remove the skirting board from the wall, cut and refit
- cut the skirting board in situ with a dremel type cutting tool
- cut the skirting board in situ with a small tenon saw working vertically
- chisel out the skirting board in situ

Edit - the skirting should probably all come off anyway if you are having hard flooring laid, so the flooring can go under the skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back