Fitting an electric shower myself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my shower stopped working last week, i have a new shower and have been asking a plumber to fit it for the past week but he keeps letting me down so im looking to do it myself.

i have the unit, and its pretty much like for like replacement.

Is it just a case of making sure the electric and the water are turned off to the property?

The actual fitting it looks easy and cables are all labeled. obvs just dont want to electrocute myself lol. once i have turned the electrics off shall i use a multi meter to make sure cables are off?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You pretty much got it. Make sure kW rating is the same ,or lower than the old shower. Isolate water ,and electrics and prove electrics dead with meter. If drilling holes in new positions make sure no pipe or cables are there. Follow showers commissioning procedure fully. Dont connect electric until plumbing is done and proven watertight.Ensure all electric cable connections terminal screws are tight ,including the factory made ones.

im pretty sure its the same kw. how do i double check the cables are right? its the same shower unit so dont need to drill any more holes.

all so what setting do i put the multimeter on to test the wire aint live?

What do you mean " cables are right" ? In the correct terminals ?
Multimeter set to AC voltage .

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What do you mean " cables are right" ? In the correct terminals ?
Multimeter set to AC voltage .

sorry i mean to support the new kw on the shower.

obvs if the new shower is gonna need more power i will need new cables. so how do i make sure the cables are the right cables to support the new shower

If the kW rating of your old shower was 8.5 kW ,and your new one is the same then nothings really changed. Is your new shower a higher kW?

i think its the same, gonna tripple check when i get home. just wondering by eye with the cables how will i know it will work if its like 1kw more

Check the MCB / fuse rating that is protecting the shower circuit . 40 amp and you are OK to run 9.5 kW .

where will i find this? in the shower unit or on fuse box?

thanks for your help btw, been great

Consumer unit has circuit breakers.
Fuse box has fuses.
You have one or the other ,and the shower circuit starts there !!
Will also have a main switch to isolate all circuits it feeds.

so to be safe shall i just turn the main switch off to the fuse box, that way i know everything is off?

Yes turn main switch off if you wish. But you still use multimeter to prove dead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back