Fitting bath taps to a basin - is it OK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

My current basin taps have a reach that only just puts the spout over the basin, so I'd like to replace with bath taps to get a longer reach.

Basically, is it OK to do this - I intend to fit 15mm to 3/4 BSP braided flexible pipes to cope with the different size thread on the taps.

If this is OK, what would you recommend by way of washer setup to make a good seal and prevent any twisting?

Sponsored Links
I think 3/4 BSP is about 26-27mm metric outside diamater and the holes in the body of the basin are over 30mm, so I should be OK.

I'm not sure when you mention "tails" if you were thinking it's a mixer - either way, its a hot and cold separate tap that I require.

no tails on the taps, as you say the holes are over 30mm.

why not just fit a set of basin taps that have better spouts ?

Sponsored Links
The thicker body might look a bit naff as well as you having to change the tap connectors for 3/4 ones, :(

no tails on the taps, as you say the holes are over 30mm.

why not just fit a set of basin taps that have better spouts ?

I need a reach of over 100mm and can't find any basin taps (even the few long reach variants) that go that far

have you a pic ?
can't see why your taps sit so far back on a standard basin.

The thicker body might look a bit naff as well as you having to change the tap connectors for 3/4 ones, :(

I have to add isolating valves anyway as the installing plumber didn't fit them, so no great trouble in making them 22mm connectors.

The appearance is an issue, but not as much as taps that spray water all over the shelf part of the basin.

In pure plumbing/technical terms, is it OK to fit bigger diameter taps to a 15mm pipe run - all other logistics etc being accepted as being able to be overcome.

Thanks everyone - I am aware that your advice is aimed at making sure I've considered all aspects of the job.

Any further advice on washers etc... as I've found the supplied kits are sometimes not great for securing taps and preventing twisting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back