Fitting boxes/conduit in preparation for electrician: OK by part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Just a quick question:

I’ve just started fitting out my integrated garage workshop (I do quite a lot of metalwork) and am about to start getting quotations for a new electrical supply in there (dedicated mini consumer unit, sockets every 6-feet, etc).

As the garage is my pride and joy I’m quite fussy about conduit runs and sockets being perfectly level, etc. so I’d ideally like to mount the back boxes and run all the round conduit myself before handing over all the wiring and connections to the electrician. To be clear: I wouldn’t touch a single bit of cable, just the conduit and plastic boxes.

My query is whether this is permitted and would the electrical installer still be able to self certify his work if an amateur had put the plastic conduit in?

Of course i’ll discuss with him in advance, and also ensure that the conduit itself complied with current regs but just wanted to make sure this approach is OK before going out for quote.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Do you think plastic conduit is really good enough for a workshop? In the main you can't pull twin and earth through plastic conduit, it just jams, so needs to be singles, and even then the electrician has to consider where he needs access, I would say metal conduit for a workshop, it may be steel wire armoured will suit better or even mineral insulated, the latter dressed can look very good.

Trunking is a different matter, easy enough to install cables, but again must follow rules, including new fire regulations, so cables can't fall in case of fire.

My son when he first started as sole trader did allow a few people to do bits themselves, however after doing so he found he was doing work not on his quote as work either not done correct or not done on time, so he stopped allowing people to help, and I think you will find about the only thing electrical firms will allow is for you to plaster after they have finished.

There are times when one firm fits tray work, another pulls the cables in, and another connects them up. However there will be penalties for being late, and some electrical engineer will have drawn up plans so those firms may have nothing to do with planning, and it will be the guy who drew the plans who would be responsible for whole job, so that does not really apply to a domestic.

So theory I could as an electrical engineer draw up plans and employ a series of tradesmen to do the work, however although industrial electrical installation certificates have places for three signatures, to do it with domestic with Part P you would need to have LABC inspectors not self certified to be able to use those forms.

Do you think plastic conduit is really good enough for a workshop? In the main you can't pull twin and earth through plastic conduit, it just jams, so needs to be singles ...
Has the material got anything to do with it? There are surely as many difficulties with pulling/pushing T+E through steel conduit as through plastic conduit of the same internal diameter?

Kind Regards, John

Galv trunking might be the way to go, easier than conduit to install and easy for additions

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone. Just a quick question:

I’ve just started fitting out my integrated garage workshop (I do quite a lot of metalwork) and am about to start getting quotations for a new electrical supply in there (dedicated mini consumer unit, sockets every 6-feet, etc).

As the garage is my pride and joy I’m quite fussy about conduit runs and sockets being perfectly level, etc. so I’d ideally like to mount the back boxes and run all the round conduit myself before handing over all the wiring and connections to the electrician. To be clear: I wouldn’t touch a single bit of cable, just the conduit and plastic boxes.

My query is whether this is permitted and would the electrical installer still be able to self certify his work if an amateur had put the plastic conduit in?

Of course i’ll discuss with him in advance, and also ensure that the conduit itself complied with current regs but just wanted to make sure this approach is OK before going out for quote.

Thank you!
I'd say put the boxes and conduit in (Use 25mm conduit to allow 2x 2.5 T&E with ease) then tell a little porkie and say you have just discovered you are not allowed to do the electrical work. Personally I'd love to find that part is prefitted, as long as it is suitable.
I'd agree that galv conduit and metal back boxes would be better in a dry workshop but by no means essential.

Galv trunking might be the way to go, easier than conduit to install and easy for additions
The guy is a metal worker - I'm sure he would have no difficulties in working with conduit, and would probably enjoy it.

Did you mean ordinary trunking, or metal perimeter/dado stuff? That would be easier and quicker, but more importantly for the OP look good. And also offer flexibility.

But then regular trunking can also look good:

SL702475-1024x680.jpg

SL702474-1024x744.jpg

I suspect they are fitted OK:

1) It would be odd were they not, given the rest of the work.

2) If you look (especially at the top of the conduit) you can clearly see distortion in the image.

I can't see anything in that photo, including the wall cladding/panel, which is "square".

re this pulling twin and earth through plastic trunking - have you guys ever tried sleeving oil?
It works wonders for allowing cables to be pulled through where they don't want to go :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back