Fitting cabinet locks to pine sideboard doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice please; I fit a couple of cabinet locks to some airing cupboard doors recently and for some reason found it quite difficult! You just need to drill some holes in the right place and screw the cabinet lock on from the rear?

I have quite a nice piece of furniture which is a pine sideboard, this has two sets of double cupboard doors on it.. see pictures. There is no central support on each side for the doors rest on, the right hand door just rests on the left hand door.

I'd like to know whether it is possible to fit cabinet locks to these two doors (to prevent my inquisitive young son from getting into them) and if so what would be the best way to go about this?

I've got some escutcheons which match those present on some of the other furniture in the room.. is there anywhere that is recommended for some good quality, brass finish cabinet locks? I may need larger than I've previously used?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,
cj.

Sponsored Links
on the slave door,fit a small tower bolt,then on the other door fit the lock.

those doors look 44mm thick with a lock perhaps 6mm
you will be hard pushed to get a small lock with a key off 50mm clear shank between the the top and bottom off the key

on the slave door,fit a small tower bolt,then on the other door fit the lock.

Hi Gregers, what do you mean by this please? I can't picture how this would work. Do you have any example please?

those doors look 44mm thick with a lock perhaps 6mm
you will be hard pushed to get a small lock with a key off 50mm clear shank between the the top and bottom off the key

Hi big-all, the doors are 35mm thick, the 'ridge' that protrudes from the door with the knob on it is about 17mm.

The piece of metal that slides across on the 50mm lock that I have, is approx 10mm so whilst the key would probably fit through the door when the lock is screwed on the rear of the door, this piece isn't long enough to slide across.

Is it possible to get 50mm cabinet locks or similar, with a longer piece of metal that slides across?

Those that I bought for the upstairs airing cupboards have been rubbish quality.. 'Securit' branded.. is there somewhere I can pay more for a better quality product please?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,
cj.

Sponsored Links
when you say lock, do you mean something that will stop the door falling open when you walk across the room; or something that will keep a toddler out, or something that will keep out an adult armed with a kitchen knife?

try here http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Cabinet-Locks.html

"cut cupboard locks" are not morticed, but they have a flat plate with a smaller box for the works, and you chisel out a small recess for this box, on the inside face of the door.

For lever locks, you could perhaps get the key copied onto a same-size blank with a longer stem.

you might find cheaper on ebay

also look for locker locks.

the door that is held shut by the main door,fit the tower bolt to that 1.the main door fit the lock you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back