Fitting concealed shower, puzzled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 'Vision' manual mixer shower from wickes. The main valve installation can either be exposed or concealed and is pretty straight forward.

However, the elbow that's required for the concealed installation has me rather puzzled. I have uploaded the instructions/image for here:

http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=elbowgu8.gif

The 'wall elbow' has a threaded shaft, the threads aren't shown in the picture. Just how exactly are you supposed to secure the backnut from behind the wall?? I don't really have access from the rear of the wall and assume when fitting showers few have that luxury.

In fact I can't really see a practical way to fit this elbow. Especially can't see any scenario where it's possible to tile and then have the elbow sitting on top of the tiles, if you know what I mean. Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
are you fitting in a stud wall or block wall and chanelling the pipes into the block ?
if a block wall you don't use the nut only a stud wall thats if you have access from the rear or front of the plasterboard.

It's a hollow stud wall.

Even if I don't use the plastic backnut, the elbow still has to be connected to the pipe and fixed in place before the wall is finally covered up with plasterboard.

The problem seems to be the elbow is not detachable from the threaded shaft which many other shower mixer seem to be, meaning you can do all your plumbing and leave the thread shaft poking out the wall to receive the elbow after tiling. Something that doesn't seem possible here. Seems like really awful design for any installer.

I'll give manufacturers (deva tap) a call and see what they say.

Sponsored Links
I contacted manufacturer. Their solution was as I feared....

Part plasterboard the wall and part tile the wall simply to accomodate the poor design of the outlet elbow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back