Fitting cooking hob into worksurface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Quick question, more confirmation required actually as I think i know what my only options are.

We're having a kitchen fitted. The worktop is 27mm oak. The gas cooking hob my wife has bought states the aperture needs to be 40mm depth.

It's to be fitted over a built-under double-oven.

Essentially the worktop is too thin for this gas hob (or vice-versa). If it's fitted as is, a good 13mm will protrude under the worksurface.

The double-oven has 17mm gap between the top of the oven and the top of the oven fascia which will butt up to the worktop.

Effectively this is reduced to 4mm once the hob is in place.

The oven is a John Lewis JLBIDU712 Built-Under Double Electric Oven.

I can't find information on the gap needed for heat management etc so i have to assume the full 17mm gap is required.

So my choices are:

- Go ahead and fit it
- Try and find a 30mm depth gas hob that is acceptable to my wife.
- Fork out for the extra to upgrade to 40mm oak worktops

Anybody got experience with a similar situation? I've still got a month before the kitchen is delivered and fitted to resolve this.

Sponsored Links
Fit the oven lower down and fit a trim piece matching unit doors above it.

20mm work top with induction hob in this pic.

22012010.jpg

[first i would check the cooker housing cos they normally on legs and is possible to lower the cooker still giving you the air circulation neededand before you shell out for 40mm oak give ya wife the drawings and say you sort it out lol ]

Hob needs 40mm clearance, top does not need to be 40mm.Should be fine as is.

Sponsored Links
if you do encroach on to the carcase underneath you need to make sure you can leave enough "meat" to maintain the structural strength off the carcase

Cheers all for the responses.

I've decided to pay the extra £200 to upgrade to 40mm worktops.

Basically the manufacturers are all stating that the oven needs the space otherwise the guarantee will be void. I don't want the headache of having to rip it out if anything starts to fail prematurely so have paid extra for peace of mind.

Considered asking the fitters to drop the brackets the oven sits on but my wife is concerned that the 'lines' won't all match up if the oven edge is noticeably lower then the cabinet doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back