Hi, Need advice cutting hop hole and installing hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all, I took my hob out of the old kitchen and plan to re-use it in the new one. I need a bit of help with cutting the hole in the worktop. Are there any rules I should be aware of as in spacing regulations etc? should the hole be tight fitting to the hob or should there be some sort of gap so the insiude edge of the wood isn't touching?
Also the hob is above the oven, is there something I need to put between them? Not sure there was anything there with the old setup. Maybe some sort of heat mat on top of the oven. Any advice would be great! cheers

Sponsored Links
When I fitted our kitchen I found the answer to these kind of questions in the hob's and the oven's manual.

...which I don't have unfortunately (appliances installed before I bought the place) hence why I am asking here ;)

Position centre of worktop provided this keeps it 50mm from wall.
Any built in oven should not be too hot at the top to cause a problem.

Sponsored Links
How did the hob fit into the previous work top ? If you still had the old work top then you could have made a copy of the hole shape and size.

Manuals / installation instructions for most appliances can be found via internet searches or the makers website.

I fitted a small fillet above the oven, as the induction hob needed 50mm clearance from the oven. Although if the oven has the controls at the top, and the actual housing for the oven bit is set lower it would be fine.

No need to leave slack around the hob, cut the hole nice and tight, so the clips are well compressed. Can always make it bigger if needed.

Always coat the bare wood cut in the laminate worktop with 2 coats of waterproof wood glue, so if there is a spill that gets down there the worktop doesn't get blown.

Great thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to have a go at this tomorrow, the tighter the fit the better. Will pva around exposed area too. I really wish I took the measurement from the old unit as I had it a while. Need to track down some of that putty sealant strip too.

I use foil tape to seal , no chance of missing any bits .Pva is not waterproof.

ah not heard of foiltape, will look that up. The sealant is an odd thing to use as it is like bluetac and never dries. can imagine it gets pretty dirty over time? I'll use a woodglue that is apparently waterproof. Will cut the hole wednesday. Not looking forward to it :(

Another question, is butyl mastic tape generally used to seal the hob? or should it be some specific hob mastic?

foxhole: foil tape looks pretty thin, how do you use this to make a seal? cheers

Just cover any exposed cuts, make sure it overlaps underneath, also used above steam producing appliances WM,DW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back