fitting dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anything unusual about replacing standard light switches with dimmer switches. My son has tried to fit these in his lounge today unsuccesfully. The lounge lights are operated by two switches in the at different points of the room and the two dimmer swithes that he replaced them with are fitted with 2way interiors but on first fitting them they blew the lighting mcb and the once he reset one of the dimmer switches was buzzing loudly. Anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
sounds like he fitted it wrong / wrong lights / under rated dimmer and has now "blown up" the dimmer

what type of lights has he/ also what watt? as not all dimmers can dim all lights and not all light can be dimmed, also did he note what went where (as in my signature?)

Also, please note...
tockworth said:
The lounge lights are operated by two switches in the at different points of the room and the two dimmer swithes that he replaced them with are fitted with 2way interiors
You cannot have two 2-way dimmers on the same switching circuit.

They are made in 2-way form so that you can pair a 2-way dimmer and a 2-way switch. If you want dimming from two locations, you can get master/slave dimmers, but a regular dimmer at each end is a no-no....

yes, you have ruined 2 rather expensive dimmers there i reckon!

read the instructions next time . . . . i'm sure it is detailed in them that you cant wire it as they were.

Sponsored Links
Yeh I'll check that out I am going over in the next couple of days. I would have assumed all househould lighting dimmer switches should be rated at quite a high max current rating but we'll see

tockworth said:
I would have assumed all househould lighting dimmer switches should be rated at quite a high max current rating but we'll see
never assume anything.
also as i said take note of lamp type, wattage, also if 12v lamps check transformer is dimaablle as not all are (it will say on transformer)

tockworth said:
I would have assumed all househould lighting dimmer switches should be rated at quite a high max current rating but we'll see
what made you think that? Did the "maximum current" bit marked on the switch itself, mean nothing to you? And in fact, its quite a low figure usually, unless you go into stupid money for 1000w dimmers etc. Normal is 300-400w (budget dimmers)

also, it may not have been a high wattage that killed them, but the fact they were wired together on the 2 legs of a 2-way switch circuit. Crazy things can happen - 2 phase cutting devices in series - one thing i can tell you here is that this is not good.

yes guys thanks for your help got it sussed now its actually my son thats fitted these things but left it to dad to sort out. I can see of course now this configuration he has fitted can never work being effectivley a variable potentiometer rather than a two state switch. I have seen the light so to speak.

you did actualy say it was your sons light not yours, but as for variable pot, fraid not, if it was just a variable pot, two in series would work. they are a lot more sophisicted now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back