Fitting downlights to Plastic ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a plastic ceiling to my bathroom and was wanting to fit a 35w shower fan light and 3 x 35w halogen down lights to the ceiling, how do you go about this so it doesn't discolour or damage the ceiling?

the ceiling instructions say leave a 10mm gap between the halogen bulb or shroud and the panels. I haven't yet bought the lights so don't know if you can do this or not, is there anything you can buy or heat spacers you can fit? the panels are 10mm thick but hollow inbetween.

Sponsored Links
You can't fit downlighters into plastic.

It will melt.

Why are you putting plastic on the ceiling?

I have seen countless plastic panelled ceilings with downlighters in. I "AT RISK" the lot.

Same for downlighters in timber.

Unless the light fittings are designed for fitting into or onto a combustible surface, they are a fire hazard.

Some 20W fittings are designed for this purpose, but they are few and far between.

I have just made my brother rip down his plastic panelled bathroom ceiling before I'd put in DLs for him.

It made the room look like a slaughterhouse or something :LOL:

Sponsored Links
the panels are 10mm thick but hollow inbetween.

So they will insulate the ceiling rather well.

Warm moist air rises, gets behind the plastic panels, then finds the much cooler ceiling surface behind.
It then condenses on the original ceiling, leading to mould and mildew.

Seriously - just forget about the plastic ceiling.

You can't fit downlighters into plastic.

It will melt.

Why are you putting plastic on the ceiling?

I was putting it up because it looked neat and i was sick of painting the peeling paint in my last bathroom on the ceiling above the shower where i couldn't fit an extractor above as it was a flat roof. I'll have to think of something else now if they won't take the lights and return the un opened packs of plastic.

the panels are 10mm thick but hollow inbetween.
Sounds like what we have, and after discussion with the manufacturers of the lights and the panels they both said it would be fine.
The panel company sent me a large sample which I fitted 4 of the downlights to with 50w bulbs and left them on for a week, no melting or discolouration at all.

The panels have been in the bathroom now for about 8 months with 35w bulbs in the fittings and it still looks as good as new.

With regards to venting the void, the false ceiling is sealed so moisture from baths/showers can't easily get up there, and the void is vented to ensure the air up there gets changed frequently to avoid damp and mould.

I've spoken to the shop that supplies the downlights and they supply the local bathroom salesroom next door, they done a months trial with the downlights and said that they are fine in plastic they say not to go bigger than 35w bulbs. 50w gets to hot. There are also special downlights you can buy i seen them at senate electrical which have heat sinks built in, these are £14 each but are a little larger and heavy.

LEB GU10's are much cooler than 35w /50w standard lamps, might be woth checking them out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back