fitting external door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts

When fitting an external hardwood door frame how far inside the outer wall does it go in to the gap? assuming it doesnt sit flush with the external skin outside. And the bottom sill does this float over the edge of the floor base.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its recom that all frames are set-back from the face of the building by 75mm.
Frame openings in masonry can vary quite a bit taking into account any cavities, cavity closers, DPC's and how the masonry has been constructed.

Set it back as far as poss so you can still fix it to the external skin. So maybe 30mm or so. Yes the cill protrudes out over what is normally the DPC course.

Frames should cover the vDPC by about 10-20mm. That dictates the set back.

The further it is set back, the greater the weather protection of the frame and the joint.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all replies this helps I think I can go in 50mm as the external course is yorkshire stone.

I was thinking of attaching the sill on top of a line of DPC then 5-1 sand and cement bed and no need for glue, is that ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back