Fitting external socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm trying to fix a single pole switch outside to run a fountain from.
There is already an eternal socket so I was thinking of just running wires from that to the new switch - is there a problem with this, my only confusion is what to do with the earth from the fountain

Sponsored Links
Cathal_ said:
my only confusion is what to do with the earth from the fountain
Build a rockery :D Sorry could not resist that, do you mean how will you earth the fountain or do you have to earth the fountain?

:LOL:
The current socket is obviously earthed but the new switch has only two connectors, and the fountain has an earth, so I assume it has to be earthed.

Do you know what the 2 connections on the switch are for? (Heres a clue: its not live and neutral. If you thought this, go and get the yellow pages out right now)

Sponsored Links
Doesnt matter, connected it all up and the earth to the main socket earth and its working fine

Cathal_ said:
Doesnt matter, connected it all up and the earth to the main socket earth and its working fine
That is where you could be terribly wrong, there is a lot more to wiring a device that is used outside, than the fact that it works. More importantly, is it safe, does it have rcd protection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back