Fitting Fence Panels - Am I Missing Something

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

So, panels and posts rotten along rear boundary. 4 1/2 6ft wide panels. Post spikes in ground solid enough.

Not done this before, but found posts (3”) and some closed board fencing we like. However, is there a way of securing the panels without lifting all the way up to the top U Clip? The other side is against overgrowth and 2 sheds, so we will have the good side! But I cannot access from the other side to screw to post, hence clips. However, the panels are too heavy to lift and slot in.

Is there not some kind of U Clip where one side hinges to allow the panel to be fitted, they push back and screwed? Sorry if not clear! There must be a solution not requiring the heavy panels being lifted?

Sorry for the daft question!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
These clips have a single central fixing hole to the post

https://www.toolstation.com/fence-panel-clip/p84157

if you [deep breath] rotate the upper two brackets so you can insert the panel into these two clips

Then.

Lift the panel above the level of the lower clip

Rotate the upper clips, now holding the panel and

Drop the panel into the lower clips??

Hope this makes some sense??

Ken.

You are a star!

I guess this will only work if I’m using just 2 clips either side. Is that OK for 6ft panels.

Sorry, another question! The current post spikes are solid, no movement. Any tips on getting the old posts out? Unlikey to simply pull out I guess. Cut level and just chisel out?

Many thanks again.

Those spikes can be tough to remove. If your new posts are going where old were you'll have to get the old wood out. An auger bit may do it but any method will be time consuming.

I wouldn't enjoy that kind of work at this time of year.

Sponsored Links
Actually, I’ve been thinking about this (dangerous). I could put some baton on the other side of the post, and screw neatly through the fence panel into the baton? Will cost more I guess.....

Thanks

Fix bottom and top clips to the post, bend one side of the top clips to straighten them out. Fix panel into bottom clips, push hard onto top clip then bend top clip back into place with careful prising or just bashing the sh1t out of it. Support the other side of the clip with a hammer or brick to help absorb the impact.

you can possibly pull the old spikes out with a jack, an engine crane, or a home-made lever that is (say) six foot long on the side of the pivot where you stand on it, and one foot long on the side of the pivot where it's chained to the spike. Spikes are not usually in concrete.

there is an agricultural jack suitable for the purpose, you will find demos on youtube. you may be able to hire one.

I have done it with a car jack and found it very hard unless the old post is solid enough to push up with a block.

once you have pulled it out like a tooth you can dig a neat hole and plant a concrete post.

concrete does not rot.

Last edited:
Just to close this after all of the kind input above. The spikes were fine, so I just drilled out the old posts - rotten anyway, so not much effort required. In the end we decided on panels when I was able to screw onto the posts neatly, so no need for the u clips. All not sorted, and I'm pleased that I was able to do it all myself and save some pennies.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back