Fitting french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help with my extension. As you can see from the pictures it's old and rotten. I would like to fit some french doors in the middle and block up each side and around the top of the French doors. Any suggestions on how to do this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

P.S
I will be doing the work my self but I have never done any block work.
Other ideas are welcome.
View media item 73516

Sponsored Links
Crikey, somebody has fitted a top hung door as some kind of crazy window! :eek:

Oh no, I just need to turn my head sideways. :rolleyes:

Can you re-orientate the photo so I don't break my neck please? :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I will be. But how should I block the sides and around the top of the door. Single skin, double skin or build it out of wood and then render it. If I use blocks do I tie them in to the existing. Or could I use aircrete blocks?

I will be. But how should I block the sides and around the top of the door. Single skin, double skin or build it out of wood and then render it. If I use blocks do I tie them in to the existing. Or could I use aircrete blocks?
It depends upon the scale of demolition and/or the standard of what remains.

There is no point in faffing about tarting up just one elevation if the rest of the sides, floor and roof are all low spec'.

Everything can be tied together using mechanical anchors, ties, brackets etc. Nae bother there.

I need help with my extension. As you can see from the pictures it's old and rotten. I would like to fit some french doors in the middle and block up each side and around the top of the French doors. Any suggestions on how to do this would be very much appreciated.
That should be way down your list of priorities.

#1 task is to get your house upright - it's lying on its side.

Once you've got it the right way up, then you can start to think about alterations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back