fitting guttering to jack-leg cabin

jso

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Modified jack-leg cabin has a gently curving roof covered with rubber sheeting, which is terminated by overlapping onto the soffit boards by only an inch or two, and held in place there by an aluminium channel which is supposed to serve as a basic gutter, but which isn't very functional. This narrow channel is easily blocked, and it's been squashed to fit into the narrow gap between the soffit boards and the square section jack-legs where they rise above the roof so rain water spills over at those points (and in other places) and never reaches the ends of the cabin, where otherwise it could be led away from the cabin by extension tubing of some kind.

Mini-guttering and proper downpipes would seem to be the answer, but how to fit such, given that there's no roof overhang? And it can't be continuous anyway, because of the jack-legs (two on each side).

I've been brooding over this for months, but could do with some input from others before I spend time and money!

Sponsored Links
The overhang issue can be solved - I did, on my hexagonal summer house. A picture is definitely needed, though I don't know how :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Pictures of the jack-leg, the inadequate aluminium channel, and the problem where the latter has been crushed by the jack-leg.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 131
The only thing I can think of is to cobble up your own drip with torch on felt etc. If you go down that route then the drip can be made wide enough so that the new gutter position is beyond the leg upstand and passes by it. Faffy but do-able.

• Thanks
Reactions: jso
The overhang issue can be solved - I did, on my hexagonal summer house. A picture is definitely needed, though I don't know how :unsure:
Easier than I thought it would be, to add a picture, that is! The guttering remains more of a problem....

Indeed so....... I have to say I agree with Noseall

• Thanks
Reactions: jso
In the light of the above suggestions, and after further pondering from the top of the step-ladders, I'm wondering about running some flexible material- plastic strip or maybe butyl from just underneath the aluminium gutter, or behind it if possible, so that it falls into new mini guttering. And maybe mastic the gap between the fascia and the jack-leg up stands so that rainwater sheds into the new guttering on either side of the up-stands. Then maybe drilling holes in the aluminium so it only serves as a retaining strip for the edge of the EPDM, and is no longer a useless gutter.

The only thing I can think of is to cobble up your own drip with torch on felt etc. If you go down that route then the drip can be made wide enough so that the new gutter position is beyond the leg upstand and passes by it. Faffy but do-able.
That's a thought, but the weakness could be the overlap between the little bit of roofing material currently trapped under the aluminium and any extension stuff. Also, not sure I'd want the guttering that far out all the way along. Might have to run guttering between the upstands, with separate down pipes. Also maybe a bit faffy....

Can the jack legs be cut and capped beneath the fascia board? Then you can remove the metal trim and form your own drip detail and continuous half round gutter.

Well, I pondered that today as well. I'm pretty sure we won't be stacking another cabin on top of this one, so we won't need the top of the jack-legs for that...and their only other function would be for attaching chains should we ever want to move the cabin and need to crane it. But that seems unlikely, so maybe I could do that.

I wonder how hard it would be to cut the tops off with an angle-grinder?
And I suppose if we ever did need to crane it away or to another location, the tops could be welded back on again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back