Fitting Karndean Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have Karndean flooring in my kitchen and like it so much I want to buy the matching colour and fit it in the hallway and living room.

The house was built in Dec 2008 and has concrete floors. The hallway is 6.5m2 and the living room is 22.5m2. I can get the flooring online for about £450-£500 with adhesive.

I have been quoted £1000 to fit the flooring by a company (which includes the adhesive, flooring and a latex based smoothing compound at £6m2 plus VAT).

I have three questions:
1) Is the quote a reasonable price?
2) Is the latex based smoothing compound necessary on a new build home?
3) Can I fit this flooring myself (I have built decking, put pictures up etc. but am by no means a DIY expert)?

Your help would be much appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Eek. I had my kitchen done at Christmas (best thing I ever did - it is brilliant)

10sqm, diamond pattern with 3mm design strips and double tramline border. The laying out is absolutely perfect and the diamonds hit the tramline with exactly the same offcut all round. The room is not precisely square so the fitter had to adjust the border slightly to allow this. I am a surveyor myself so I perhaps have an extra appreciation of just how much effort he put in to get it absolutely spot on. I am very, very pleased with the job and it looks like a really high quality designer type floor.

It took one day to fit and the fitter came for about an hour and a half the previous day to prepare the concrete floor and latex - his bill was £150 including thje latex and the adhesive. OK, that's the bargain of the century if you ask me but nevertheless I think a thousand quid is too much.

So;

1. Too much I think.
2. Latex is essential.
3. I wouldn't fit it myself - and I'm quite handy at these things.

you stated an overall square meterage of 29m2

if i understand your post correctly then your quote is an all in on the floor price of £1000 (them supplying everything)

that equates to £34.48m2 - I would snatch their hand off!

going rates start at £50m2 and go very much upwards depending on design.
with regard to geedavies - yes thats about right for labour only

I read it wrong - thought the grand was for fitting only. I agree, in that case it's a good price and I would go for it.

Sponsored Links
Answers to questions...

1. £35 per/m2 sounds too cheap to me
2. Absolutely yes
3. No, fitting karndean isn't like putting pictures up

Has anyone mentioned a DPM, essential on a concrete sub-floor !!

Is the fitter certified by karndean ?

Why a latex screed ? Do you have kingspan under your concrete??

No wonder these things go wrong !!

Answers to questions...

1. £35 per/m2 sounds too cheap to me
2. Absolutely yes
3. No, fitting karndean isn't like putting pictures up

Has anyone mentioned a DPM, essential on a concrete sub-floor !!

Is the fitter certified by karndean ?

Why a latex screed ? Do you have kingspan under your concrete??

No wonder these things go wrong !!

hear hear :D - I couldn`t agree with you more!

Guys, thanks for your replies.

I have now changed my mind and only want the hallway fitted which is 6 Square Metres. I have bought the flooring myself off ebay and the Karndean adhesive. However I cannot find anyone willing to fit it, I guess it's too small a job, therefore I am going to fit it myself.

Now I know that the majority of people are against fitting this flooring unless you are a trained professional, however I am out of options and time. So putting aside the fact that I shouldn't really be fitting this flooring myself are there any handy tips that you could give me or absolute dont's?

If anyone could write a really quick guide on how to fit amtico/karndean flooring then I would really appreciate it (just a general gist). I cannot find anything online about how to fit this flooring.

Many Thanks,
Garreth

Just Try simplyflooring.net from this you can get more variety on Karndean flooring according to your hallway & living room size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back