Karndean flooring. Advice on screed and glue needed please!

Totally admirable approach to your work Mark, and congrats on the job change to something you can really enjoy.

By the way guys, we were looking at the Karndean Knight range, mainly due to budegt i suppose. What separates Karndean from Polyflor, Amtico etc. Is it just cost? We deal largely with Polyflor at work, was just wondering what the differences are and which are best for the home. I assume some are better suited to business premises with heavier traffic.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I will have to leave this to the experts to answer.
If you want to know anything about buying chicken from Thailand then I may be able to help. :LOL:

Mark.

poly floor is cheap and more of a contract vinyl, there tiles (domestic range are not as good as karndean, there sometimes out of square etc.

Amtico is the best product for wear but to be honest its over kill. It is harder to work with and harder to get a good cut in around boarders.

Amtico also do a range that is the same price as karndean called spacia but this is utter crap made in china. It tends to wear out in 6 weeks wear proper amtico lasts 25 years plus.

Amtico is also triple the price, i would stick with karndean or some wood planks made by armstrong look very good but again 65 quid a meter.

Now there is a way to maintaining your karndean which will prevent you from ever having it wear so in theory it will last a liftime

Again you will learn this on the course!

Sponsored Links
there is no way you can fit this floor to a high standard without trainning of some kind. Weather that be a karndean course or another course like one of the FITA courses. Of course you could come and work for me or someone else who is skilled at the job for a week and learn more than what you learn on the course.

But i myself still go to all the courses and keep close with karndean, amtico etc for new and improved methods, weather that be me teaching them something or them teaching me. I am lucky that when something new or a new method comes out, that the company in question is normaly on the phone to me for me to try it out and see what i think and vice versa!

Anyway there is more to karndean than to slapping a few tiles down, there is boarder work etc. A proper fitter will be installing boarders on every job and shrinking them to fit or bending them around a bend! This is the bit that i would say no one can do with out trainning of some kind.

The way i look at it tho. Lets say you buy a nice porsche. You take it for its 600 quid oil service at a porsche dealer, The 'porshe mechanic' does the oil change and all seems o.k but then you find out that he is self trainned on his mothers ford fiesta. There is no way he can know all what is needed to know when a few simple courses could train him to do it properly. Would you be happy with this? You may as well pay some tramp at the side of the road 10 quid to slip under the car to do it for you.

Also the courses are worth every penny, you will come away with tools, clothes, bags and products like there glues or screed etc which in total will be about the same as what the course cost, including your lunch and stuff over the few days, karndean dont end up making money after they pay for all the products you use. For instance, the one circle you get to put into the floor costs them 50 quid to make that is scrap 20 minutes later!
Hi mattysupra i know its been a long time since you wrote this post... but i was looking to have flooring fitted and came accross this site whilst trying to find out more about kardean/tarkett flooring. I noticed that you are from the west midlands area and i am also and was wandering if you still fitted flooring and if you would be intrested in a small project i.e small kitchen and hall? Kind Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back