Fitting Led lights in my carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post so please be gentle.
I have fitted 3 4ft LED light in my carport, I have wired them with twin & earth brought the cable through the wall to the existing kitchen light switch I have bought a double switch but I am not sure how to wire it up, the original switch has 2 wires Red & Black on Com & L1 the new switch has 2 Com 2 L1 & 2 L2 I am not going to do anything until I have some professional advice.Thanks in advance Iain

Sponsored Links
You will need to run another cable from the switch to the kitchen light so that you can connect the new lights to the neutral of the circuit.

brought the cable through the wall to the existing kitchen light switch

Unfortunately it won't work from what you've done so far. There is no neutral wire at the kitchen switch, only the live and switched live for the kitchen. If that's definitely where you want the switch for the car port, you need to get another cable from that switch up to the kitchen light itself. Or, pull out the one that's there already and replace it with some triple and earth cable.

Which could involve some re-plastering, pulling up floorboards, etc...

Light fitting kitchen only has 2 wires Red & Black is one of these the neutral?

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_105105.jpg
    IMG_20190628_105105.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Not yet.

When connected, one will have to be for the light to work.

Neutral Is the name of the conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.

The black wire is connected to the N connection of the light fitting can I take a wire from this to connect to the neutral of the new wiring?

Oh, just looked at your picture.

You will need three wires to it, live neutral and earth.
One of the connectors is connected to the body of the fitting which must be earthed.

Have you done that? If not, then you should do some learning before going any further.

The black wire is connected to the N connection of the light fitting
Ok.

can I take a wire from this to connect to the neutral of the new wiring?
That doesn't make sense.

You need to connect the Neutral wire from the light to the Neutral of the kitchen lighting circuit at the kitchen light.

In this picture is the switch end if the kitchen wiring red is live black is switched live, blue & brown wire is new wiring can I take a wire from the N connection in the kitchen light?

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_115137.jpg
    IMG_20190628_115137.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 127
In this picture is the switch end if the kitchen wiring red is live black is switched live, blue & brown wire is new wiring can I take a wire from the N connection in the kitchen light?
Yes, from the kitchen light circuit.

You will have to run a cable from the switch to the kitchen light connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back