Fitting mirror with lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a mirror with LED lights in it which I aim to fit when I re do my bathroom.

I am planning to fit this above the sink which is close to a shaver socket. Can i take feed from this shaver socket using 1.5mm2 cable to the mirror? Also, is this a safe approach as above the sink???

Also, I believe shaver sockets are stepped down using transformers so do i take feed before the transformer???

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Shaver sockets are type tested and you can't tap into them in any way. To use anything in a bathroom it must be deigned for use in a bathroom. Unless manufacturer says it's for bathroom use you can't use it.

Because of the silly charges by LABC it would not be worth fitting yourself. It would cost far more than a registered electrician will charge.

Sponsored Links
It is very likely that the shaver socket is powered from the lighting circuit, so you have a start there.
If you add anything, the lighting circuit will need to be upgraded to include RCD protection.

Also

The shaver socket will be powered all the time. Does your mirror/light have its own on/off switch?

Thats the practical stuff, Derryboy has highlighted the logistical bits....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back