fitting new bathroom light with switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings

Have brought new light for bathroom. Old bathroom light has 3 reds 3 blacks and 3 earths. the new light has only got three ports live negative and earth. how do i wire this light. can i wirer all lives together all blacks together and all earths together. Please help me (wife wants to employ someone to fit it).

Sponsored Links
i did thank you very much but i have a new light to replace old light fitting as i have just re decorated bathroom and the new light is the finishing touch ( does light have to be enclosed or can i use small spot halogen lights. sorry if i seem to be repeating my question

Before you remove the old light, note which wires are connected to which from the ceiling.

If the reds are all connected together on their own, then keep them that way.

You probably have a black connected to the live of the fitting, and a black connected to the neutral of the fitting - studying the fitting there should tell you this.

Sponsored Links
I'd expect:
2 reds for loop live plus 1 red to switch - all connected together.
2 blacks for loop neutral also connected to light neutral.
1 black from switch (preferably with brown sleeve) connected to light live.
3 earth/bond conductors connected together and possibly to light.

Total 3 red, 3 black and 3 earth.

And right at the very top of the forum, there's a line which reads

folder_wiki.gif
Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki

In the Wiki, in the Lighting and Lamps section, there's an article entitled "Replacing a ceiling rose with a light that only has L/N/E connections".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back