Fitting new boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been asked to help an engineer for a few weeks fit replacement boilers and hang new rads. I've fitted bathroom suites and ran pipework before, and done plumbing repairs, so was just wondering if I'd be ok helping to fit new boilers. I know what's roughly involved, ie fitting to wall, connecting flue/bricking up old flue space etc, and piping to new boiler. Just wondered if I'd find it ok as i don't want to let myself down as there could be a full time job in it for me if I do ok.

Thanks for your help all

Sponsored Links
So long as you know you can do what the other guy expects you to do, then there is no problem. There's lots of non-gas work to do fitting and repairing heating systems and many installers use non-gas help or apprentices.

no I'm not gas reg but have done tightness test when helping an engineer before at services - i can do pipework, and have hung rad brackets - so just wondered if I'd be ok to help fit new boilers or if there was anything else i'd need to do or practice

Sponsored Links
As above, you can't do any of the gas bits, so you could hang the boiler and pipe up the flow & return (and hot and cold if required) but that's it, no gas pipework, no gas tests and nothing on the flue

ok thanks for your replies - I'll do what he asks me then, probably will get to do the condensate as well - i'm guessing screws will come with the boiler to hang them? otherwise what size is best? I really want to do well :)

ok thanks for your replies - I'll do what he asks me then, probably will get to do the condensate as well - i'm guessing screws will come with the boiler to hang them? otherwise what size is best? I really want to do well :)

Depends on the size and weight of the boiler and the type of wall.

Could get away with no 10's and brown plugs might need chemical anchors or rawl bolts.

I even seen a couple where the mounting bracket is stuck to the wall with gripfill with only a few screws put in as a token gesture :eek:

How are apprentices / trainees supposed to gain experience if not allowed to work on things.

My apprentice regularly hangs boilers and runs gas pipework.

i have done plumbing work for 3 years or so and have acs qualifications - but have never hung a boiler before, so want to do well.

How are apprentices / trainees supposed to gain experience if not allowed to work on things.

My apprentice regularly hangs boilers and runs gas pipework.

Alright I am not a gas engineer so shouldnt comment

But what is the harm in an apprentice or competent diyer running there own gas pipes as long as they don't do the final connections and the work is tested and signed off by a pro installer ? :confused:

i have done plumbing work for 3 years or so and have acs qualifications - but have never hung a boiler before, so want to do well.

It ain't rocket science is it?
Make sure the fixings are into sound materials.

If not it may be necessary to drill additional holes in the bracket to make sure.

thanks for your reply - i know i'm just wanting to know wha i'll be doing before i do so i can prepare for it. hang jig / pipe up to new connecions - run condensate and prv - prv outside elbow-street elbow in towards wall - flue (if allowed to) - all tightness test/commissioning i will hopefully get to help engineer out with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back