Fitting New Extractor Fan

esk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an axial fan on the ceiling of an en suite shower room that has given up the ghost.

The fan outlets to the roof via several meters of ducting pipe. Therefore I have decided to replace it with a centrifugal fan as I never felt the axial was up to the job.

The fan itself runs from the light switch (no pull cord) and has a timer.

Unfortunately, the cable (red/blue/yellow - presumably L, N SwL) feeding the fan through the ceiling is short by about 6 inches for the new fan.

Am I safe to extend the existing cable using some sort of connector block? If so what type would be best?

I don't have any of the same type as the current feed but there is a length of spare twine and earth lying around. Is it okay to use this or am I best to get some of the same type as the feed.

Do the new regulations allow me to do this or do I need to get an electrician in.

Existing fan is Silavent Axial and the new one is a Greenwood sf90t.

Thanks.

Euan.

Sponsored Links
Is there a loft space above?
Or if not can access be gained from above?
A 20 amp junction box can be used if accassible.
Do not use just connector blocks, unless in an electrical box, again accessible.

It would be best to replace the whole length of cable.
It sounds like you do not have an isolation switch.
Perhaps the old cable can be routed to a position where a 3 pole switch could go, then a new cable to the fan.

3 pole switches available as pull switch (ashley) or wall mounted (can go outside room).

You can use two twin + e cables, but a 3 core + e cable would be a better job.

You could extend the cables with connectors within the new fan if there is room, however.

Yes I have access to loft space above so I'll fit a junction box. Sadly, no room within body of fan so connection will need to be in the loft.

The existing fan has its own switch - separate from the ceiling lights.

Thanks for your reply.

Euan.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back