Replacing Extractor fan

So, it is not wired for a timer fan, as I said earlier.
The new fan that you have is designed for light on, fan on. Light off fan still on for a few minutes, then fan turns off.

I still cannot see a black wire in that FCU.

Sponsored Links
The switch shown is the one on the opposite wall that controls power to the fan - well for the last 12 months, when I have flicked it, the fan becomes live. I understand your confusion over the colours but, switch on, fan on.

For un-pixelated pic, see link.

Now, about this tester I need to obtain . . .

This sort of thing http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/3-in-1-voltage-tester-rm68y# ?

3-in-1-voltage-tester.jpg

That will do provided you always check that it is working properly.

Benji's dad, can you confirm at the fan switch where the brown, black and grey go?

As said, it APPEARS only black and grey are used.

Where does the brown wire go? (it may be in a seperate connector block, it may go somewhere else)

Sponsored Links
I would like to see a clear focused close-up of the terminals on the back of the switch above.

Learned my lesson about disconnecting wiring, so unable to get a clear photo of back of the switch. Hope this sketch is acceptable.

I have amended photos slightly too

fsusketch.jpg

Remove the black wire and replace it with the brown wire. That will keep the proper colour convention.
At the fan. Grey to neutral.
Brown to live and you also need a link between live and switched live.
The black wire does not connect to anything.

Thanks, too late in the evening to be doing safe electrics, will give that proper attention tomorrow evening.

Remove the black wire and replace it with the brown wire. That will keep the proper colour convention.
Thank you so much once again, I now have an operating fan that doesn't blow my RCD. If you inbox me your favourite charity, I'll see them right.

Thank you so much once again, I now have an operating fan that doesn't blow my RCD. If you inbox me your favourite charity, I'll see them right.

Now that's a decent chap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back