Fitting new metal light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Any idea which cables need to go where? BG instructions are terrible. Had a go and can't get it working

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_122625.jpg
    IMG_20211229_122625.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20211229_122603.jpg
    IMG_20211229_122603.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20211229_122550.jpg
    IMG_20211229_122550.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Did you take a picture of the wiring at the original switch before removing ? If so show us the pic.

You need an earth wire from the earths inside the switch box, to the earth terminal on the new switch.

The brown wire with the folded over copper end to COM.

The brown and the grey that are sharing the same brown sleeve to L2.
The remaining browns and the black to L1.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need an earth wire from the earths inside the switch box, to the earth terminal on the new switch.

The brown wire with the folded over copper end to COM.

The brown and the grey that are sharing the same brown sleeve to L2.
The remaining browns and the black to L1.

So I disconnect the earth wire from the box terminal and rewire it into the switch earth terminal?

Also brown wire with folded over copper, do you mean the third brown wire from the left ?

Last edited:
So I disconnect the earth wire from the box terminal and rewire it into the switch earth terminal?

Also brown wire with folded over copper, do you mean the third brown wire from the left ?
1) NO. You get a new piece of wire, and run it from the back box terminal to the new faceplate terminal.
2) The wire that needs to go to the COM terminal (which looks like it has it's copper end folded over to me) is the brown wire that is inside the cable that also has a black and grey within it.

1) NO. You get a new piece of wire, and run it from the back box terminal to the new faceplate terminal.
2) The wire that needs to go to the COM terminal (which looks like it has it's copper end folded over to me) is the brown wire that is inside the cable that also has a black and grey within it.

Thanks. Ok, will get a new wire. So I keep the existing earth wire in the box terminal AND add the new wire connecting the box terminal to the faceplate terminal?

Or remove the existing earth wire connection and add the new wire connecting the box terminal to the faceplate terminal?

Keep the earth wires in the box terminal (it would hard work disturbing those and re-routing them), and connect a new earth wire with them to the new switch earth terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back