Metal light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone ok I am a bit confused here.

First of all I am far from a qualified sparky but I have changed many light fittings switches sockets etc in the past with no problem I feel confident doing it.

Recently I purchased some new light switches and sockets to go with the room I have just done but their metal.

In the instructions it says they have to be earthed which is obvious but it also says to run the earth wire from the casing in the wall to the switch then from the switch earth point use another wire to connect to the earth point on the casing.

After watching and reading a few things people say to leave the earth in the casing and run another earth from the switch to the casing.

Which is correct?

Sponsored Links
Back box earth screws are often quite poor so going to the plate and looping to the back box can be more sound.

Back box earth screws are often quite poor so going to the plate and looping to the back box can be more sound.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So you mean to just add an extra piece of earth wire from the fitting to the back case?

Place the earth from the mains wiring into the switch earth terminal and add a piece of earth wire from there to the back box earth terminal

Sponsored Links
It's not a regulation that this should be done (but it is sensible).

Therefore, if not done, the CPC (earth) must be connected to the switch plate.

Edit - not disputing spark123 - writing at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back