Bedroom Light HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right i recently fitted a new bedroom light for my brother inside which it says it must be earthed and there is a small earth wire inside connected to the casing of the light and an empty conduit for an earth wire from the house to connect to it. Unfortunately my house still has the same wiring it was built with in the 60's and has no earth cabling.

I read a thread from here saying that an earth cable can be run from a socket on the room to the light but would like to clarify i understand it properly.

I buy an earth wire from somewhere and connect it to the metal casing on a socket or switch and then run that to the light and put that in the conduit?

Help appreciated thanks,

Sean

Sponsored Links
It would really be best not to fit a metal light fitting. Plastic is fine.

It was quite common not to include an earth wire in older lighting installations and that in itself is not a major problem unless you have metal fittings. It would not be wise to run an earth cable as you suggest.

You really have two choices:

1) fit a plastic (insulated) light fitting/
2) have the wiring fully inspected and see what it would take to make it safe for metal fittings.

Hope this helps

I am confused what you mean about the metal light fitting do you mean the light itself? what do you mean by a plastic light fitting and insulated?

The light casing itself is made of aluminium this is what i meant by the metal casing if this helps?

Thanks again,

Sean

Normally the standard downlight fitting does not require and earth connection, this should be varified by the installation instruction that came with them, or a square with in a square symbol on the unit.
It's the switch that can not be metal, as you have no earth and this is dangerous.

Sponsored Links
I am confused what you mean about the metal light fitting do you mean the light itself?
Yes.

what do you mean by a plastic light fitting and insulated?

Apologies for not being very clear. I mean that you should not fit any light fiitting that requires an earth. You should not install the light fitting that you have.

The light casing itself is made of aluminium this is what i meant by the metal casing if this helps?

Yes, aluminium is an electrical conductor and that light fitting requires an earth connection. You should not fit it on any circuit that does not have an earth.

You should only fit a light fitting that does not require an earth connection. Such lights are likely to be made of non-conducting materials such as plastic/PVC etc.

OK i get it now the light switch itself is plastic but has a decorative, detatchable metal cover is this still a problem?

I checked the instruction when i fit it they explicitly say that the light MUST be earthed i tried it without anyway and it would switch on i just guessed this was due to no earth?

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Sean

Ok scratch my last comment i get it all now thanks very much for your help i will find a light which doesnt need earth.

Thanks Again,

Sean

I am confused what you mean about the metal light fitting do you mean the light itself? what do you mean by a plastic light fitting and insulated?
Normally those that are like this
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AAPEN.html

Some examples that need to be earthed - so ones you cannot use if the house lighting circuit does not have an earth available.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...re_Menu_Ceiling_Light_Contemporary/index.html

Don't forget that if you have no earthing for the lighting circuit you cannot have metal switches either. :(

Sean, the earth connection should have no effect on whether the light works or not. The earth connection is to protect you from fire/electric shock during a fault condition.

If the instructions say that it MUST be earthed then you must not install it

As a general question to the forum: I have seen the metal downlights that have no facility for an earth connection. I actually rejected using them on one recent occasion since I could see no significant protection of the line conductors, I mean they were sleeved in what I assume was a heat resistant sleeve but they did pass into the metal housing of the downlight which would not have been earthed. Do they comply to any standards?

Sean has said on one of his other posts that there is no earth connection to ANY of the household circuits>>>>>>

Sean has said on one of his other posts that there is no earth connection to ANY of the household circuits>>>>>>
That is true
It should be mentioned straight out here that my house still has its original wiring and NO earth wires.
Sean
But I assume this is only the lighting circuit, as that is what is in question.

As a general question to the forum: I have seen the metal downlights that have no facility for an earth connection. I actually rejected using them on one recent occasion since I could see no significant protection of the line conductors, I mean they were sleeved in what I assume was a heat resistant sleeve but they did pass into the metal housing of the downlight which would not have been earthed. Do they comply to any standards?
They are rated class two and should come with double square symbol on, that is the British standard the symbol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back