Earthing for a Metal Light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Is it acceptable to run an earth wire from a wall socket to a light switch to provide an earth for a metal switch, or do I have to run it all the way back to the consumer unit??

I am replacing a plastic light switch with a metal one that requires an earth but there is no earth wire. Also, if I can run a wire to the wall socket to earth it, does that wire have to follow a specified route? ie up from the switch or down from the socket. Or can I just take the shortest route? Many thanks.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
No

In short.... if there is no effective earth conductor in the lighting circuit at the switch then you cannot safely have metal switches.

Ideally run the earth back to the consumer unit.

Although now that it is acceptable, indeed mandatory to bond lights, whirlpool bath, shower unit, power shower pump, electric radiator etc etc in the bathroom, I really can't see why bonding a single light switch to a socket can cause a problem.

Sponsored Links
Ideally run the earth back to the consumer unit.

Although now that it is acceptable, indeed mandatory to bond lights, whirlpool bath, shower unit, power shower pump, electric radiator etc etc in the bathroom, I really can't see why bonding a single light switch to a socket can cause a problem.

But BONDING is not the same as EARTHING!
It is not now mandatory to bond those items. However, it is mandatory to RCD protect them.

is there an earth at the light fitting by any chance? one old wiring practice for a while was to earth the lights but not the switches. if so you could run a new switch cable.

Thanks for your reply.Can I add a earth Conductor seperately?

It is usually extremely difficulty to properly add an earth conductor to an old lighting system. Until your or an electrician can rewire it, you would do better to stick with plastic light switches.

But BONDING is not the same as EARTHING!
It is not now mandatory to bond those items. However, it is mandatory to RCD protect them.

You right TTC, my terminology and description is anything but correct and I should have worded it better, but I'd be interested in anyone explaining why it's (in some circumstances) necessary to bond with 4mm in a bathroom circuits protected by 32a, but not acceptable to earth a single light switch on a circuit protected at no more than 6a.

While I would accept it's not an ideal policy, and certainly wouldn't make a habit of such practice, I just can't see the logic in it being a total 'no no'.

Also should'nt all class 1 plastic switch plates in unearthed circuits be fixed via nylon screws?

I think that is only for steel back boxes.

You can use metal screws on dry liners or surface patresses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back