Fitting on top of hotwater cylinder stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to remove the fitting from the top of my hot water cylinder to fit a surrey flange to feed a new shower pump, but it is thoroughly stuck!

I've put plenty of WD40 on it and left it to soak in for hours as well as removing all of the gunk/rust that was around the fitting, but despite some considerable force it won't budge an inch.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Get some heat on it. A few minutes with a blowlamp should shift it.

Thanks for your reply Sooey. Well as you can see in the pics, the heat removed the top fitting, but I'm right in thinking that the other lower one shown comes out as well? because otherwise the flange ain't fitting...

Just how liberal is it acceptable to be with the blowtorch? I'm a bit scared.............. : ) ps the bottom one still hasn't moved in the slightest

Thanks

That to me looks like a brazed tapping and as such will not remove. It looks like 3/4 BSP, although bit hard to tell, and if so you need to get the appropriate surrey flange.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Pete, that makes sense why it won't budge. Seeing as already have the 1inch one (and will be a faff to return) is there such thing as a 3/4 to 1" adapter? I realise this will make the flange sit slightly higher up but it would make life easier.......
THanks

How old is that cylinder?

You should of replaced it with a nice new one with a foam over coat.

Andy

Yup, you sure can - 1" male > 3/4" female BSP reducer is what you want.

Or 1" female to ¾" male. I'd be concerned that if you screw a fitting into the top of the cylinder you'll be reducing the opening size quite a bit. By the time the flange goes in you might not have much room for normal hot water to flow.

Well this is not going well!

I tried to use a connector, but like denso said, the opening was reduced to practically nothing so that was a no go.

Can you actually get a surrey flange with a 3/4 connection to the cylinder? because I'd had a pretty good look and they don't seem to exist...

If not what are the other options?
1 - replace the cylinder. Is this a particularly difficult job for a DIYer? But I don't really have the money if it's going to cost quite a bit

2 - possibly use an essex flange, but I wouldn't be too confident drilling into the side of the tank tbh

3 - Not use a flange at all? and just draw the hot water supply for the shower pump with a T connection? I know you're supposed to use a flange, but can this really be so bad?

Thanks for far

thanks denso, that looks like it might work. It doesn't say, but presumable the top and side connections would be 22mm and I could just use a standard compression fitting on them?

Ideally you really need a dedicated feed for a pump for 2 main reasons -

1. minimises the amount of air the pump draws in, air is the most common destroyer of pumps through cavitation, especially pumps with plastic impellers/housings.
2. a dedicated feed means that there is no drop in flow to the pump or visa versa when another hot outlet is opened.

BTW - Warwick make a 3/4 BSP flange that would fit your cylinder.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/warwick-male-flange/88212

That'll teach me to go make a cup of tea without pressing submit Denso :p

And yes, they should be 2x22mm outlets, if not then there is a similar one called a warwix with an x that definitely is 2x22mm

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll grab one of those and hopefully it'll fit without too many probs

If not I'm sure I'll be back on here pestering you all again ( :

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back