Problems fitting a warix or surrey flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to plumb in a power shower and would like to fit the appropriate flange to the top of the hot water cylinder. I have disconnected the pipe from the top of the HW cylinder but am left looking at a 3/4" male thread fitting:

hwcylinder.jpg

I suspect the male thread is an extra fitting that is stuck in the top of the cylinder and that my cylinder is really a 1" female fitting. Can anybody confirm from my blurry photo ?

And if this is the case, how do I get the fitting out without destroying my HW cylinder. I have tried undoing the top nut and it isn't budging. I'm afraid that if I apply any more force I will rip the top off the cylinder. I've been squirting WD40 on it all weekend. Is there something else I can use instead ? Or any other techniques available for removal ?

Part of me is thinking that I should just leave it in place and fit a flange with a 3/4" fitting ? But that would only give me 15mm feeds and the current hw feed is 22mm.

Sponsored Links
Drain tank......you probably have. Try heating the joint with a gas torch.....sometimes this loosens the joint, plus jointing compound acts as glue as it dries over the years.....

POWELL 30 IS CORRECT IF FITTINGS ARE FITTED WITH BOSS WHITE AND HEMP USUALLY A PAIN TO DISLODGE THE BLOW LAMP TECHIQNIQUE ALWAYS WORK

JUST BE CAREFULL IF ITS A GRADE 3 CYLINDER LIKES TO CRUMPLE IN YOUR HANDS

Sponsored Links
As you say the cyld is 1" bsp so the best thing to do is heat it up then with a pair of grips hold onto the 1" bush sides that you can see in the picture, and then use another pair to pull against that should remove the 3/4 m/i fitting, the to save ruining the cyld if the bush will not come out, just cut into the bush both sides that will remove very easy leaving you a 1" thread to fit a surrey flange with a dip pipe on that will ensure you do not pull air into the pump from the expansion

Thanks for all the advice. I did as gasmick2 suggested and clamped the larger bottom nut with a mole wrench and then borrowed the largest stilson wrench that would fit in the space available to use on the top 3/4" fitting.

It still put up an almighty struggle but the extra leverage from the stilson was just enough for me to get it turning, and turning the mole wrench in the opposite direction ensured that I didn't damage the tank. After that the bottom nut came off relatively easily.

Finishing off the rest of the plumbing for the shower will be a doddle compared to this :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back