fitting pannel fencing few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am going to be fitting 6m of pannel fencing in my garden shorty i was going to fit conctete as thought there was a slope but there is only a small one so going with chepa wooden posts and pannel fencing and postcrete, firstly i will put posts in then the pannels but just wondering should i put stones under the post for drainage ?

also anyone know any strong clips for attaching the pannels to the posts as the wickes ones are supposed to be weak ?

thanks Dean

Sponsored Links
Where is it going to drain to?

Concrete is relatively waterproof and will protect the post base so just make sure you have some concrete in the base of then hole before plonking in the post.

Can;t help with the clips, i get mine from local fencing supplier

thanks for that mate, anyone know of decent clips as the ones from wickes have bad reviews saying they are weak ?

also i was going to fit one post close to house do u think that is best or put paannel straight onto a clip connected to the wall ? think putting a post will the better

thanks Dean

Sponsored Links
ok thanks will do, what is best way to dig holes ? using small spade or the scissor looking spade tool lol also what size does hole need to be and also should i be checking anything to make sure no power cables or anything there ?

thinking about a post hole digger 17lb and the post hole digger for scooping out the soil or spiral post hole auger whats best is there a cheaper solution

thanks Dean

the post hole diggers are useful for scooping out loose soil at the bottom but no good for the actual digging. I find it quicker to just use my hands frankly.

A sharp spade will be fine, cable avoidance is something you need to be on site really to advise Lift manhole covers to check depths of pipes nearby and just use common sense regarding other services.

Post holes should be deep and narrow, for a six foot high fence you want at least 18'' in the ground. Width wise about 10'' square or a foot if that is difficult.

Don';t bother with an auger for such a short run unless you are elderly or disabled at all.

thanks again thats pretty much the advice my mate give me, didnt want to spend 70 pound on toold for 100 pound fence lol is there a certain type of small spade that is best to use (drain spade etc)? might invest in one as sure will come in usefull, also were should i position the first post near my wall ? (how far from wall or up again wall or wat ?

also i will just dig and hopefully dont hit anything at all lol touch wood shouldnt be anything there lol

Thanks again Dean

get a small spade with a straight-ish handle.
Use a wall plate ( piece of 4 x 2 or such ) secured to wall, for the starter post.

any spade under 8'' wide will do narrower the better but as fence3r points out you need one that is straightish i.e. has little angle between the head and the shaft.

In my opinion it looks better to use the same size starter post as the rest of the posts rather than a bit of 4x2

Just bolt it to the wall with concrete screws of frame fixings etc hover it an inch clear of the ground too to keep the base from rotting

ok i will go looking for a decent digging spade, so u would suggest screwing the first post directly onto the wall but dont cement into ground just put in 6 screws to secure, sounds good to me and will look neat, but shouldnt put deep in ground maybe just on ground level,

also anyone know any decent fencing clips to secure pannels to posts

thanks Dean

i have read loads of things saying dont connect dirsctly to the wall but with pannel fencing u dont get many options as cannot extend past the post ? if i do put onto walli think i will cut the top on a slope and set the bolts back into the wod but any help or pics would be great what is ur opinion

thanks Dean

If your very worried you can space it off the wall with nylon/ stainless steel washers, personally i wouldn;t bother

ok thanks, do i need to use expanding bolts ? if so u have any links for screwfix etc as have never heard of these, obviously i will need plugs in the wall etc, u think about 6 bolts will hold it on ok ?

is this them ? http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-l-type-wallbolts-m10-x-80mm-pack-of-5/20323

also is it easy to cut fence panneles to size using jigsaw and how exactly do these slot in and connect post to pannel and how many will i require per pannel ? http://www.wickes.co.uk/fence-fixing-clip/invt/541399/

sorry for all the questions
Dean

i tryed using them once before when i was doing guttering and couldnt get to start going into the pointing, i used a dewalt bit driver and couldnt get started so would something like this not be better

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-l-type-wallbolts-m10-x-120mm-pack-of-5/23736

also would these go into the pointing and not directly into the brick work ? with the ones u said to use i still have 6 of these from guttering do i just drill a slightly smaller hole then run these in ? and do u think i should cut a countersunk hole into post aswell os just drill straight through and put these in ?

thanks Dean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back