Fitting PIR to existing garage light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been answered before but I searched and couldnt find anything exactly as I have it and want to be 100% sure.

I've just bought a pir sensor from Homebase to install on my garage light. Cleverly, I've already lost the instructions.

What I have is a strip light with the feed from the FCU directly into it and seemingly a separate wire to/from the switch. The pir has a standard connector block inside for LNE.

I'd like to be able to override the PIR but not sure if a quick on/off would do this (given I've stupidly lost he instructions).

Could someone point me in the direction of a diagram showing me how to wire this up. I would have thought simply interrupting the feed from the FCU would be enough but I'm old enough to have learnt not to assume :)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
The PIR should have Live In, Neutral and Switched Live and Earth and to have full over ride of ON and OFF can be wired as follows.

If it only has Live Neutral and Earth then it is not a very useful PIR unless it has a built in lamp that it controls.

Thanks for the very helpful reply.

Thing is, I think I have a much more simple light than usual. It's a strip light in the garage with the feed from the fuse box of just L,N & E and then a separate wire of just L&N going to a single switch.

The PIR does indeed have a L1, L & N but no earth.

Reading the box it says it has an override, so I suppose it's a case of installing it and relying on that override so I don't have to wave my arms around every few minutes.

Im still a bit confused as to where I should put the sensor online with now.

Cheers

Hi Deano,

The run to the switch will be L & switched L, not N. The black or blue conductor should have a red/brown sleeve at either end to denote this.

The L terminal in the light fitting should be connected to the sw L return from the switch, remove this wire & connect to L term in PIR, connect N term to neutral & L1 to L of light fitting.

I'd use a length of 3 core + earth for this, connect the earth at the junction end & fit in an extra terminal block @ PIR end.

Then I'd go to Homebase, find the fitting I'd purchased, pluck out the instructions & take a camera phone shot of the overide part.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back