Fitting replacement bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Few questions for you tap gurus out there:

(i) Are all two-hole bath taps standard 180mm apart?

(ii) My existing bath tap mixer (with shower hose) needs replacing and it seems it's only secured using compression joints with the 3/4" hot and cold pipes. Is this normal or should the tap also have been fixed together with the bath using some nut similar to that used on a basin?

(iii) Will it just be the simple case on unscrewing the two nuts to free the tap and screw in the new one? Hoping it won't open up a whole new set of problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
1) Usually

2) Should be held on with a back nut, not just the pipe work :rolleyes:

3) Changing bath taps easy? :LOL: you may be lucky if you have easy and good access, usually you find nuts stuck and previously fitted by King Kong when you try to undo them :LOL:

Thanks for the speedy reply Dave!

Not sure why my bath mixer has got no back nut, it' only held by pipes. It has been for the last 20 odd years and seems very secure by this with no play - tap is leaking hence need for replacement.

So if I get a new replacement tap, I'd need to secure it with an additional nut, would this entail drilling a new hole in the acrylic bath? Thanks again.

No the back nuts are supplied with the new mixer tap. They just screw on the same thread as the tap connectors go on, but first!

Are you sure you haven't any there already and you just can't see them? I would expect the mixer to be loose, unless it has benn 'siliconed' on somehow.

Sponsored Links
Jeez, your second response was even faster Dave!

I've just had another look under the bath and yes there are back nuts which tighten against the bath - I couldn't see properly at first and thought they were rubber seals. Anyway, it all looks straightforward so will go ahead and order the replacement taps.

Cheers Dave, you're a star!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back