Fitting safety gate to nice oak staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to fix a child safety gate to a nice oak staircase. The thing is, I don't really want to drill into the staircase so I'm wondering if anyone can think of a way I can do this? I'm thinking if there was some kind of bracket or other mechanism I could use to attached a piece of wood to the posts I could then screw the safety gate into the bits of wood and not have to harm the staircase.

Pic of staircase attached.

At the end of the day, my son's safety comes first so if there isn't a safe way of doing it we'll just have to screw it!

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks. The pressure ones have a bar across the bottom which is a potential trip hazard in my view and I seem to recall my wife spoke to one of the companies and they don't really recommend them for staircases/room dividers. I'd always be concerned my son, who is very strong, would be able to puish it.
Any ideas on how to fit the screw one without screwing into the staircase? Anyone?

Thanks

Paul

my solition would be to buy your stairgate making shure it will fit an opening 50mm smaller than the opening[25mm each side]
buy some timber the same size as the newel post [21x100x1200mm!!]width and length to finnish on a square section off the newel
attach gate to timber and use several cable ties to secure in place
just make shure the timber sits on the stairs so it cant slip down
the cable ties will dammage the wood without padding so you have the choice off padding out with some paper or not

Sponsored Links
No idea about design, just be aware that if you do use any metalic fixings directly in contact with the oak make sure they are non-ferous. Ferous metals can react with oak causing discoloration or even decay - it is reccomended to always use stainless steel or brass I think it is from memory to avoid these problems.

I'd just bite the bullet and screw into the staircase. The screws are really quite tiny (about 3/4" as I recall). After the kids have left home and you've plenty of time to fill in the holes you won't even notice them (the holes that is, not the kids).

is the gate to be fitted at the bottom or the top?
just a thought if its at the bottom,can you not slide the gate between the spindles on each side so theres some overhang,drill some holes in the stairgate and insert some dowells so its nicly wedged on the outside,i know what im trying to say wether its come accrossed properly???? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back