Fitting Skirting board to uneven plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had on old 60's fireplace that we got rid of and has left that side of the wall with no skirting board. I'm not great with DIY but I am attempting to get this fitted myself. The room has been recently plastered by someone with poor skills. The problem is that the area where the skirting board should go is an uneven surface. There also seems to be a chunk of plaster missing on the far left hand side. I bought some Evo-Grip adhesive and some nails from B&Q before they shut. I'm not sure of where to start. Is it a case of first filling the area with plaster missing and then applying the adhesive and then nailing the board in place?

Please see below for photos:

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't nail it or even no nails it, plug and screw, then caulk gaps.
If any electrical sockets, switches, accessories etc. are in the wall, avoid fixing through wall, in the area below them as there could be cables routed there.

If it was me (and I know some people would say, too much trouble) I'd push the skirting against the wall and rule a pencil line just above the top, then take off the plaster up to that line with a bolster, then fix the skirting to the wall with screws and plugs, then fill or caulk the plaster/skirting gap.

I would space the skirting off the wall if necessary, either with timber scraps at the screw points, or by screwing battens to the wall just below the top of the skirting, and 20mm or so above floor level. The battens need to be well screwed to the wall, but the skirting only needs to be lightly screwed to the battens, which should give a flat and true surface.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back