fitting skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

someone mentioned to me in the past that it is a good idea to leave a small gap between the skirtingboard and the floor.

can any of you back that advise up and give reasons for this?

thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
you should'nt leave a gap the skirting is to fill in between the wall and floor
if you leave a gap with shrinkage you finnish up with a bigger gap

if you do leave a gap you will just have to fill it ;)

having said that a gap is great low voltage cables like phone 'tv'speaker'cables ;)

and i suppose if your planning laminate flooring in the future you can leave a 10mm gap :rolleyes:

:)

thanks for that.
I think the person who told me to leave a gap (and it was for laminate) was to be able to slide paper or similar underneath it to help with painting them!

Cheers,
Matt

matpj said:
:)

thanks for that.
I think the person who told me to leave a gap (and it was for laminate) was to be able to slide paper or similar underneath it to help with painting them!

Cheers,
Matt

aaahhh yes in that case its a compromise you need the skirting no more than light on the laminate for expansion so a 1mm gap wont hurt

although unless its mdf skirting its likly to shrink by a mm or 2 any way ;)

Sponsored Links
big all just read your reply i am about to fit skirting boards soon to new room and have been thinking for awhile about laminate flooring under the skirting so i wouldnt have to fit that extra ugly beading to hide gaps from laminate would it be better???

dingo1959 said:
big all just read your reply i am about to fit skirting boards soon to new room and have been thinking for awhile about laminate flooring under the skirting so i wouldnt have to fit that extra ugly beading to hide gaps from laminate would it be better???

so much easier just undercut at the door frames
bit off underlay on the floor 'flooring upside down by the frame slide a saw accross the flooring cut the frame /archatrave 10 to 12mm deep chisel out slide flooring under

affix new skirting to wall

easy peasy just make shure you have the correct expansion gap all round

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back