fitting sliced up tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a job where the guy wants a large(ish) tile sliced up to std brick size & then fitted to his bathroom in a brick bond. Im concerned about the cut edge finish especially as the tile core is brown & the finish is white! he wants quite a wide grout gap which is the only saving grace!
Any tips? ( apart from trying to persuade him to buy the correct sized tile to start!) :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt spec this on a bisciut tile, even with a large grout line you will still see the bisciut in places...

he insists this is what he wants! Ive tried all kinds of arguments against!
What I intend to do is lay some on a scrap of gyproc & let him see the pitfalls. I agree with you the core will almost certainly show in some places no matter how much care I take in grouting!
Maybe I should just decline the job!

Apart from all the extra work involved, chances are it will look awful; I’d tell him to buy the correct size tiles or walk away.

Sponsored Links
my thoughts too! Unless he accepts that I wont be held responsible for the way it looks, only the way Ive fitted them!
he was going to get someone else to cut them all (1200 of them!) -- with a wetsaw! LOL! :rolleyes:

he was going to get someone else to cut them all (1200 of them!) -- with a wetsaw! LOL! :rolleyes:
Even more reason not to get involved; I will never, ever let anyone else do my prep be it tiling, plastering, bath/shower rooms fires or any of the renovation work I do. It’s impossible to control what’s going on, know it’s been done correctly or guarantee the final result.

Unless he accepts that I wont be held responsible for the way it looks, only the way Ive fitted them!
The trouble is that doesn’t really work; no one is going to know the tiles were not suitable for slicing or what a (possibly) shiet job the cutter made of them; they will only see them up on the wall which is your work & no matter how you try & explain the technicalities of why it looks sheit, it will be lost on yer average punter & your reputation will suffer seriously as a result.

missmouse

am with rich,i would walk...

1200 with a wet saw.... :LOL: after the first dozen,.. he/she will get pizzed off and then start forcing them through, and they will be a chipped at the edges...unless its a overhead cutter,.. even at that "1200" peices i would soon get bored cutting them on mine.. ;)

yeh, i think youve convinced me guys! I just need to convince him now!

1200 with a wet saw.... :LOL: after the first dozen,.. he/she will get pizzed off and then start forcing them through, and they will be a chipped at the edges...unless its a overhead cutter,.. even at that "1200" peices i would soon get bored cutting them on mine.. ;)
Great round off post; nuff said. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back