Tiling skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently tiled our kitchen floor and have decided to tile the skirting rather than wood skirting.

I've got a couple of questions about doing so.
1. How high would you go? Our tiles are 33cm but at one point the gap from the floor to the plastered wall is 9cm. Does this mean that half the tile will be needed (16.5cm) to cover this gap and create a stable tile?
2. Would you face the cut edge up or down?
3. Do you use spaces under the tile so a grout in the gal can be used or silicone etc?
4. Do tile edging strips to finish off the job add a nice finish?

Any tips or tricks that would help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I've recently tiled our kitchen floor and have decided to tile the skirting rather than wood skirting.

I've got a couple of questions about doing so.
1. How high would you go? Our tiles are 33cm but at one point the gap from the floor to the plastered wall is 9cm. Does this mean that half the tile will be needed (16.5cm) to cover this gap and create a stable tile?
2. Would you face the cut edge up or down?
3. Do you use spaces under the tile so a grout in the gal can be used or silicone etc?
4. Do tile edging strips to finish off the job add a nice finish?

Any tips or tricks that would help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Draw a level line at the desired height you want the 'skirting' to be all around the floor.
place a tile-good edge down-onto the floor with the face of the tile facing the wall.
Mark both sides of the tile where your pencil line is.(your desired height line)
Cut the tile from mark to mark and stick tile to the wall cut edge down onto the floor.
Finger grout in where skirting meets wall and floor.

Good edge up, no edging, spacers underneath are optional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back