Fitting Solid Oak Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm about to lay some solid oak flooring to my hall and downstairs dining room on top of the existing boards using the hidden nail method. Some web sites suggest using a felt/paper underlay to resist dampness coming up from below, while others say this can trap dampness in the existing joists and boards.

Any suggestions on the right way?

Sponsored Links
If you have damp you need to deal with this first as it will **** your new floor!! If damp is likely you could put down plastic sheeting but I would sort the issue first

If you have damp you need to deal with this first as it will **** your new floor!! If damp is likely you could put down plastic sheeting but I would sort the issue first
NEVER use plastic sheeting over existing floorboards! This will trap any moist, block ventilation and could cause joists to rot.

Voids beneath existing floorboards should have air bricks. As long these function properly you don't have to use any further protection - especially nothing that blocks the normal ventilation.

There is no sign of any damp and the air vents all appear clear - so will take your advice and nail directly to the subfloor.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Sorry didnt read your post properly - thought you were talking about a concrete floor! My method of detecting damp is useless for your wood floor! Totally agree with WoodYouLike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back