Fitting spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new here so hello.

I'm going to be building a home cinema soon, well it's really just a tv with lighting but i need help with fitting spot lights.
I don't know anything about lighting, the most i've done is fitted a sound system in the car so i know a little about wiring etc.
I'm not looking to add anymore lighting points, i just want to swap the current 2x household light socket with Something like this

I can't find any links & i've searched a bit, even got a DIY book but it doesn't really go into detail about fitting them.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My advise to you would be:

Switch off circuit at fuseboard and check it's off by trying to switch on the light.

Take down the existing light and make a note of which wires go where before disconnecting them.

Copy wiring to the new light.

If you get stuck there is info in the wiki bit to help you.

Good luck

SB

Should be fairly straight forward really. When you say “light socket” can you explain better, what kind of light fittings you have on the ceiling at present?

V

Oops! Looks like we posted at the same time. However, either take the advice above or come back with a description of the existing lights if you are still struggling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, i'm not sure what the socket it called but it's the one you find in most homes, the white one which the round bulbs go in. (Very technical explanation) :LOL: Can you just swap them without doing anything else then?

How are they actually connected to the ceiling?

Thanks again both of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back