Fitting suspended timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be using masonry joist hangers for my new timber floor.

I want to know if it is ok to fit the hangers and joists and then build up a few courses and then after a few days remove the joists out of the hangers.

The reason being is that i will be only doing so much on my extension before winter starts and so the roof will not be put on until next spring. This means the joists will be exposed for the winter. They are treated, but even so i would prefer if they were in the garage.

Is this a bad idea, or is it ok ?

Sponsored Links
OP,
Why even use a single joist - no joists are needed?
Simply measure off the positions of the hangers, and then set them, and leave them until convenient.

Yes i have been reading and you just set these hangers on a block and then add mortar and build up. You don't actually need to fit the timbers at that time. So i will do this.

Another question if i may. How do joiners get the right level ? I think my positioning will be ok in terms of using a block and a brick and then i will set my hanger at that position, but what if i need to raise the joist say 3mm? Any idea how you get a really good level using the suspended floor method.

Could it be that i set the hanger a little high and then notch all the joist to fit. This is all new to me and i am scratching my head how they get these joist hangers in so well.

Sponsored Links
I built my wall to high so had to notch 15mm from my joists:

Attachments

• IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 104
Good to see that you are learning ^woody^ - keep in touch with the gnome, in fact get five weirdos/DIY'ers together, & I'll give the whole crew a few "watch my lips" DIY tips.

You actually spend your time following me around this place? I spend most days working on building sites, just dont have time to be traipsing around a DIY site.

I'll join the gnome and woody, as the struggling Diy'er who doesn't know what he's seen. Just need 2 more and we're in for a seminar. An education even.

Well I certainly won't be the fifth, the bugger doesn't like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, he seriously dislikes me; he just looks down on everyone - or maybe I'm being overly sensitive.

Never the less, I'm still not being number five.

Last edited by a moderator:
He used to post under another user name.. he seriously dislikes me as well...he keeps calling me names, and i am sensitive. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back