Fitting this wall light. Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked about fitting this wall light by a friend. It's from Wayfair.com.

Fitting.JPG

Having looked at it, here's the info.
  • It came without instructions
  • It is of metallic construction
  • It will be fitted to a solid wall
  • The 8.5cm diameter fixing plates fit flush to the wall, so there is no space for the cable or any terminations behind. [2 x 1.5mm T&E cables would be connected to it]
  • There is a separate loose earth fly lead supplied, but no fixing screw anywhere to attach it to.
Flylead.jpg

• A twin core sheathed cable is used. The outer sheath finishes 3cm short of the lampholder.
  • The online specification states that the voltage is 12v but should have an E27 (60w) bulb. [I assume the 12v is a 'typo'?]
Capture.JPG

So here are my questions. Please feel free to include anything else that might be helpful.

1. Where do the terminations go?
2. What should be done with the loose earth fly lead?
3. Any comment re the voltage?

When I mentioned these concerns to the guy to bought the light, he looked surprised and said he had chosen it because of the reviews...... :confused:

reviews.JPG

Sponsored Links
I agree. Pity we can't see a picture of the rear.
I think the only option you would have would be to to hack out a suitable hole in the wall plaster/wall board and fit a connector block, (preferably a maintenance free type). The earth fly lead could be terminated with a small nut and threaded screw through one of the fixing holes, (you won't need all 4), and make the termination on the reverse side. Try to make the screw blend in colourwise with the screws you use to mount the fitting to the wall.

It's do-able but I think it will be a pain in the proverbial.

EDIT: Just noticed it's only 12v so needs to be fed by a transformer or other voltage reduction device.

Hi @conny thanks for the reply. The rear is completely flat with just the 'pipe fitting' in the centre that has the cable coming out of it. The pipe fitting walls are thick, leaving I reckon only about a 1.5 cm diameter bore. Not enough space for the flex, T&E and terminals.

The small nut was the only way I could think of to fix the earth. I'll clean the paint/lacquer off the back to make a good contact.

I'm not convinced it is 12v. My reasoning being, that if it was, no need for the earth wire. AFAIK The specified bulb isn't available in 12v form, and the other lights in the same range are rated 230V.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not convinced it is 12v. My reasoning being, that if it was, no need for the earth wire. AFAIK The specified bulb isn't available in 12v form, and the other lights in the same range are rated 230V.
On the contrary. I just Googled E27 12v lamp. There's lots. Like this one and this one

Thanks @Taylortwocities. That's a bit worrying. I imagine there's a real prospect of someone screwing a 12v E27 lamp into a 230V light fitting!

In this case, how can I determine which is the correct voltage for the fitting? There's nothing written on it and no instructions. The website states 12v, but it comes with a sheathed cable and an earth lead.

EDIT
Just looked online and called their helpline...
Capture.JPG

...they said that "it's mains voltage, 12V is totally wrong!"

Last edited:
I'm not convinced it is 12v. My reasoning being, that if it was, no need for the earth wire.
It surely can't be any specific 'voltage' (or, put another way, it could be any voltage you wanted it to be)? As EFLI has said, it's just some plumbing fittings plus an E27 lamp holder with a cable connected to it.

If you feed that cable with 230V, then you would have to put a E27 230V lamp/bulb in it. If you feed the cable with 12V (from a transformer or suitable power supply), then you would have to put a E27 12V lamp/bulb in it. Indeed, if, for some reason, you fed the cable with, say, 48V (from a transformer or suitable power supply), then you would have to put a E27 48V lamp/bulb (if you could find one!) in it!

In other words, it's up to you to decide what voltage you want it to 'be'.

Kind Regards, John

I was concerned about connecting it to 230V if for example the supplied cable / insulation wasn't suitable for it.
If you're uncertain/concerned about that, it would probably be fairly easy to replace the short bit of cable with something that definitely was suitable for 230V - but you would still have the issue of finding a way of earthing the metal parts of the 'fitting'.

Kind Regards, John

I have been asked about fitting this wall light by a friend. It's from Wayfair.com.

View attachment 228022

Having looked at it, here's the info.
  • It came without instructions
  • It is of metallic construction
  • It will be fitted to a solid wall
  • The 8.5cm diameter fixing plates fit flush to the wall, so there is no space for the cable or any terminations behind. [2 x 1.5mm T&E cables would be connected to it]
  • There is a separate loose earth fly lead supplied, but no fixing screw anywhere to attach it to.
View attachment 228024

• A twin core sheathed cable is used. The outer sheath finishes 3cm short of the lampholder.
  • The online specification states that the voltage is 12v but should have an E27 (60w) bulb. [I assume the 12v is a 'typo'?]
View attachment 228026

So here are my questions. Please feel free to include anything else that might be helpful.

1. Where do the terminations go?
2. What should be done with the loose earth fly lead?
3. Any comment re the voltage?

When I mentioned these concerns to the guy to bought the light, he looked surprised and said he had chosen it because of the reviews...... :confused:

View attachment 228027
I see this sort of junk all the time now, especially in restuarants etc and totally struggle to find a reason for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back