I want to replace my wall lights. The current cabling is two

Wob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my wall lights. The current cabling is two sheathed cables each with a red and blue cable in it. (no earth\). one of my concerns is that currently the red and blue in each sheath are twisted together and connected to the existing wall lights. is this safe?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome wob :D :D :D

your question is not clear wires twisted together
are you concerns the wires are just twisted together [no mechanical fixing]the wrong wires are twisted together or the lack off an earth cable ???

Hi
Thanks for responding.
1. Is no earth a problem?
2. A blue/brown twisted together in both sheaths and not the blues together and browns together

--------
Wob

Sponsored Links
1. Is no earth a problem?
Very much so if the lights are not double insulated.

Are they metal or plastic?

Do they have a
double_insulated.gif
symbol on them?

Do they have earth terminals?
frl105_g.gif

Are there earths at the switches?

2. A blue/brown twisted together in both sheaths and not the blues together and browns together
So two twin-core cables, each one has its cores twisted together, and one pair goes to one terminal on the lights and the other pair to the other, and they light up? TBH it doesn't sound as if they were wired up by someone who really knew what they were doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back