Fitting travertine tiles on wall

M

marsaday

Just about to start my bath tiles on the wall. Couple of questions.

Is a 3mm trowel ok for applying the adhesive or should it be deeper ?

I have some lithofin tile cleaner. Do i clean the tiles before fitting and then seal, or can i clean and seal when i have put them on the wall (prior to grouting). I will then seal again after grouting.

Sponsored Links
3mm is way too small. What size\thickness trav, what adhesive are you using and whats the substrate?

You shouldnt need to clean them much, most tilers seal once before grouting and again after.

They are 12mm thick (400 x 400mm) and will be onto cement board and some areas of plasterboard.

I am using a power adhesive for travertine

I have a 6mm notched trowel. Would this be ok.

Another question if i may.

I have decorated the bathroom in white emulsion and have brought the plastered area down into the area to be tiled by 10cm. So this means on my last row of 40x40 tiles the final 10cm of each tile will be adhering to painted plaster. I can't see this being much of a prob, but should i stanley some cuts into this plaster so the adhesive can get into the PB behind ?

Sponsored Links
Personally i wouldnt go lower than 8mm.

The paint over the last 10cm would be fine, scratch it well as you say.

Ok thanks for that. Was going to use 6mm after reading some info, but 8mm is fine.

What depth will the tile compress to when you apply pressure? Will it be 4mm then ?

I have the rear of the bath where i origionally thought i would just do one course of 2 x 400mm tiles, but i think i will make it up to be the same height as the rest of the tiling so it will be 4 courses of 2 tiles. The only prob here is that this area has been plastered and painted.

I understand this type of wall doesnt like a lot of weight so what do you think if i go for adding 8 tiles here instead of the planned 2.

Also do you thin a 3mm grout gap would look ok with these tiles. I have 2mm spacers, but i think 3mm may look better.

Thanks for help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back